B24 hull speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobus

Mar 30, 2010
bristol 1970 24 ft nawiliwili
i went sailing last night off the coast of kauai in 25 mph winds i would guess and rather large waves my gps said my max speed was 11.1 knots i put a reef in the main soon after seeing this and had a great time the bristol is great in weather

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
The only time my Bristol 24 hit 11 knots is on the trailer! Hull speed is 5.7 kts. You would have to be falling off a 40' wave to reach 11 knots in a B24.

I once averaged about 5 kts on a 150 mile passage. i thought I was really "truckin".

tobus

Mar 30, 2010
bristol 1970 24 ft nawiliwili
how reliable is gps

hi i use a brand new garmin handheld its the first time ive used one and dont know how reliable they are i didnt fall off a 40 ft wave but i can tell you i was wet and wearing a lifejacket and nervous at times the b24 is the first sailboat ive owned and started sailing about 6 months ago it has a custom french mast about 30 ft tall do you know how tall the orignal mast is

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
mast length

hi i use a brand new garmin handheld its the first time ive used one and dont know how reliable they are i didnt fall off a 40 ft wave but i can tell you i was wet and wearing a lifejacket and nervous at times the b24 is the first sailboat ive owned and started sailing about 6 months ago it has a custom french mast about 30 ft tall do you know how tall the orignal mast is
My mast is the original on hull# 622, made in 1976. The mast is about 28'6" long.

I use a garmin 60 gps, and sometimes get strange, temporary readings when it is moved, such as handing it across the cockpit from person to person. The best way to check actual speed is to calculate time and distance over a mile or more, with no current. Your reading might have been influenced by current, or the boat being flung about by the waves.

I've found that my B24 can handle just about anything that I can take in the way of rough seas and wind.

Do you use a normal B24 mainsail, or is yours sized for a taller mast, with maybe a shorter foot?

Jan 23, 2010
Bristol 24 Corsair Pensacola, Gulf of Mexico
My mast length is the same as Okawbow's. The sails, although new, are equivalent to the original config.

I've only been sailing in really rough weather twice w/ my B24 - last season, on the Gulf of Mexico, both times. The first time, the winds were clocked gusting at 39.3 knots with spray whipping off the wave crests... 'noisy', 'scary' are words that come to mind; and the second time, at a lower 32.6 knots.

In both instances the boat sailed like a dream (no, not a nightmare). On the first occasion, it was like riding a super-charged rocking horse (definitely NOT your father's rocking horse) being constantly swamped (read: huge waves coming unimpeded over the bow right into my face in the cockpit). I needed goggles just to be able to see & to avoid saltwater irritation to my eyes - clearly my foul-weather gear was aptly named: 'WetSkins', as the water was able to find its way to places on my body normally reserved for swimming. The trek lasted only about 4 hours, but the boat seemed to enjoy it a lot more than I.

The second time (you'd think I'd have learned my lesson and avoided a repeat), the sail itself was much more pleasant... after all I was a practiced veteran by this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.