B 311 bilge pump float switch

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
Hi All
Recently purchased a 311 and can't believe Beneteau did not install a auto float switch for the elec bilge pump. I tried running an elec snake where the pump hose and grounding wire exits the shallow bilge but something blocks it after about a foot in. The way this boats liner is installed seems to make it impossible to run wires from the bilge to the elec panel. I looked to drill a separate hole, but the liner is very wide next to the exit hole for the hose. Any help would be appreciated
Cliff.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Same here. In my 310, I installed an electronic "float" switch and ran wire to the panel to an ON/OFF/AUTO switch. I don't have any photos of the install but will be on the boat this weekend and will take some and post them up. IIRC, I had to drill a hole in the liner from the bilge to the area below the starboard side settee to snake a wire to the panel.

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
Same here. In my 310, I installed an electronic "float" switch and ran wire to the panel to an ON/OFF/AUTO switch. I don't have any photos of the install but will be on the boat this weekend and will take some and post them up. IIRC, I had to drill a hole in the liner from the bilge to the area below the starboard side settee to snake a wire to the panel.
Thanks.... it looks like the 310 and 311 share the same hull, so maybe the liner is the same also.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If there is a bilge pump installed in the boat, you already have the wiring necessary to either install a float switch or replace the pump with an automatic one. The only function you may lack is the one for the manual operation to override the Auto function.. Many older boats had the pump wired to a breaker switch in the DC panel which will require to leave the 12V power On when you exit the boat. It would be recommended the circuit be hard wired to the batteries with a fuse and an On/Off switch.

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
If there is a bilge pump installed in the boat, you already have the wiring necessary to either install a float switch or replace the pump with an automatic one. The only function you may lack is the one for the manual operation to override the Auto function.. Many older boats had the pump wired to a breaker switch in the DC panel which will require to leave the 12V power On when you exit the boat. It would be recommended the circuit be hard wired to the batteries with a fuse and an On/Off switch.
No, you are not correct. This boat only has a hose pickup for the pump in the shallow bilge. The pump is located in the head under the sink. The on/off switch is on the DC panel. I need to install an auto/on/off switch at the panel. I know exactly how to wire it. The question was how to get the wiring for the float (no pump or wiring in the bilge) through the liner.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
No, you are not correct. This boat only has a hose pickup for the pump in the shallow bilge. The pump is located in the head under the sink. The on/off switch is on the DC panel. I need to install an auto/on/off switch at the panel. I know exactly how to wire it. The question was how to get the wiring for the float (no pump or wiring in the bilge) through the liner.
I did the same on my 351 tricky ,however with patience you can get it . I added a bilge alarm too . Some people install a switch under setee rather then to the panel. I also added a vertical float switch in parallel with horizontal swich as the bilge is shallow

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What kind of pump is it? My boat has a centrifugal pump in the bilge, and the body of the pump is the intake.

my shower pan has a drain, with a hose attached, and a diaphragm Pump I think under the sink, that sucks water out of the shower pan.

does a centrifugal pump self-prime if not in the water?

Greb

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
For a simple install, you could use the Johnson electronic float switch as shown in the attachment. Run 2 wires from the switch along the hose, under the seats and back to under the sink in the head. Cut the red wire to the pump and splice the switch wires in.
Leave the bilge switch always on. I've done this on my 352 and has worked for the last 10 years.

Attachments