Autoprop

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ciff Rieders

Whats the word on autoprop. Does it significantly increase sailing and motoring speed sufficient to justify the high cost. Does it cause vibration because of its weight? Is is reliable? Who gives the best deals?

B

Bob Robeson

Good prop

Yes the autoprop is spendy. Yes it will iincrease motoring a little and motorsail quit a bit and it improves sailing over a fixed pitch any day. Yes it can cause vibration, but between balanceing and the correct shaft it can be solved. Last note: Frank Butler of Catalina Yachts uses the autoprop on his own boat. Bob

J

Jon

Initial experience

First off, I agree with everything Bob said. My new C310 hit the water last week (without a mast, but that's another story). I had it equipped with an Autoprop from the get go. I'm not very experienced with inboard power, and I'm not convinced the tach was 100% accurate, plus this was a very lightly loaded boat, but with the 26hp Universal M-25XPB we were doing close to hull speed at an indicated 1400 rpm. When we throttled back as we entered the marina, we were still doing about 3 knots at idle speed. The prop wash was impressive. This prop does not have the lowest drag under sail due to the curved blades, and the relatively large hub in the smaller prop sizes. After much research of the available information, I felt it was the best compromise of motoring efficiency in forward and reverse, and low drag. I did not detect any abnormal vibration or other problems as launched. The strut did have to be notched to provide absolute clearance in reverse as the blades swing back. Is it worth the money? You can spend less if you want to maximize one characteristic at the expense of another, giving up a little versatility.

G

Gerry Hull

AUTOPROP ET ENCORE.

CHECK THE FORUM ARCHIVES UNDER PROPS, AUTOPROP ETC. THERE MUST BE A DOZEN OR MORE ARTICLES INCLUDING SOME OF MINE WHICH GIVE SO PROS AND CONS LEARNED IN A YEAR OF USING THE AUTOPROP. ALSO AUTOPROP JUST SENT OUT A MAILING ON AUTOPROP RESEARCH TO SUBSCRIBERS OF THE CATALINA MAGAZINE 'MAINSHEET'.

D

Dan Smith

yes

I put an auto prop on my 42 and got better mid-range speed at lower rpm. 6.3 kts at 2100 rpm. top speed is 7.8 kts at 3200. Mild vibration below 1500. you will need an auto prop puller $80 for maint. and send it in for new bearings every 3 to 4 years. You can buy direct and save lots get one now they are the best prop I have found

Status
Not open for further replies.