Autopilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Marrison

I am planning to buy an autopilot and would appreciate recommendations based on experience of O'Day 37 owners. The two models I am considering are both wheel pilots: Autohelm's 4000 Mark II and the CPT unit. I would also be interested in any experience with a below-deck installation.

D

David C. Hirtle

Good Morning I've had a Autohelm 4000, they are well made and a you get your bang for the buck. Check the weight restrictions that that model accomodates. Good Luck!

F

Francois Machabee

autohelm

Hello, I also have that model autopilot and it works very well though I have read that it is not strong enough to handle long term cruising needs and can pull in many amps when given a hard ride. Below deck autopilots are better and access to the rudder pivot wheel/cable under the aft cabin berth is simple but there are no built-in pinions to hook up the required hardware so you would need to improvise something.

P

Peter J. Brennan

Autohelm ST4000

is what we have. But in discussions with Raymarine I have been told that this model is marginal for the O'Day 37 because of the vessel's weight. They have recently come out with a new drive system for the ST4000 which is rated for a heavier boat, but it really only brings it from marginal to adequate, quite adequate for coastal work but not for long passages. They recommended the ST 5000, below-deck model. But that's big bucks and poses installation problems, which I am sure could be managed. I have had my ST4000 fail. Cams and pins and belts in the drive section, that round thing attached to the wheel, just wore out. For what they are, they are costly to replace but a spare set is a must. I was able to jury rig a repair with cotter pins, but it did not last long. The electronics won't fail. Connected to the LORAN (or GPS) the ST4000 does a superb job of holding course.

Status
Not open for further replies.