Autopilot Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Merrill

Hello All, I am installing a Raytheon ST4000+ autopilot. I would like to hear where you folks have installed the fluxgate compass and the control unit. Thnaks, Jeff Merrill

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
C310 Fluxgate position

The dealer installed the fluxgate compass on the vertical panel enclosing the holding tank, about a foot above the macerator pump. I was getting about a 7 after going through the calibration procedure. A reading of less than 15 is supposed to be acceptable. Thinking I might get a lower reading by moving it farther from the pump, I mounted it on the outside port stringer under the aft berth. It was kind of centered equally between the engine, water tank and macerator pump, without being too far outboard. This location gave me a worse calibration number, about 10 I think. I’ve since moved it back to the original location. I’m also curious what location other owners are using.

G

Gary Malcolmson

Fluxgate Compass Location

On my C310 the dealer located the fluxgate compass under the rear bearth behind where the shaft exits the hull. It is monunted on the inside (toward centerline) of one of the fore-aft stringers. It works just fine in my installation. The control head is mounted on a 3-pod Navpod (Tri-Data, Wind, Autopilot) at the helm. Also, mine did not come with the rudder angle sensor so I'm not sure how the settings would change if you have one. There are specific settings that were recommended to me and seem to work are: Calibration Lock OFF Pilot Type 4000whl Rudder Gain 2 Response 2 Turn Rate Limit 20 Align Rudder 0 Rudder Limit 20 Off Course Alarm 20 AutoTack 100 AutoTrim 3 Drive Type 2 Variation 0 AutoAdapt nth Latitude The correct latitude for the location of the boat. Rudder Damp 4 Cruise Speed A Hope this helps and good luck with your project. Gary C310 #230 "Rhythm"

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Mine is under the sink...

on the bulkhead close to the centerline. It works perfectly. I thought the sink pump would bother it but once it's calibrated it's fine. They recommend as close to centerline and as low as possible...

Apr 3, 2006
Catalina 310 Sackets Harbor, Lake Ontario
Thanks for the replies....

All were very helpful. I appreciate everyone taking the time, especially thanks Gary for sending the settings you use (I am going to try the installation without the rudder position sensor). Jeff Merrill

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
My fluxgate is under the galley sink too...

The dealer mounted my fluxgate compass under the galley sink. It is on the left side just below the pull-out angle door thingies. The settings that Gary has provided are crucial. It will save you some grief if you print those parameters and take them with you to the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.