Autopilot for H340

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mal Trotter

I plan to instal an autopilot on my 340. I believe that many owners have used the ST 4000. It seems that the 4000 is right up at its upper weight limit in relation to the 340. Can anyone tell me if they have used it and whether it handled the task okay? Also, where did the autopilot compass get fitted, wiring almost anything in a 340 seems a real pain. Also, can anyone tell me if they have fitted wind instrumentation to a 340 and if so, how did you get the wiring up the mast/ I will appreciate any help.

M

Miles

ST4000 on 340

I've got an ST4000+ on my 340 and it seems up to the task. I ageee that looking at Raytheons chart it does seem to be at the upper end of the weight limit but it's always been pretty decent. I'm not sure how well it would do in REALLY extreme circumstances but then probably nothing would work all that well... I don't think you can get a more powerfull wheel mounted autopilot at least in Raytheons line, next step up is one of those below decks hydraulic ones. The fluxgate compass on my boat is under the sole at the foot of the companionway. Not sure how they did the wiring for the masthead windex unit but it must have been a little tricky if the mast was stepped at the time... Happy wiring!

L

Larry Jackel

ST 4000 + marginal in h340

My 1999 340 came with a ST4000+ Autopilot. I have had repeated failures of the unit, including numerous failures of the belt and clutch. I know others have had better luck; it's possible that I have challenged that unit by occasionally sailing in places like Long Island Sound with a 20 knot breeze and 2' chop. At this year's Sail Expo in Atlantic City, RayMarine staff told me the unit was underpowered for a boat with the displacement of a 340. This seems odd, since the 340 fits within the specs of the ST4000+ , but the RayMarine people said the margins were too small, i.e. an autopilot rated for 15,000 lbs was borderline for a boat that is as heavy as 12,000 lbs.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out the Simrad units!

More powerful, easier to install and costs less!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
10 Years Plus on a V32 and

still going OK with the new owner. The V32 spec's about the same as the 340. Serviced it about three or for times. Replaced the control unit once at modest cost in lew of a new LCD unit. Sevice was great. There is a gazillion in operation... can't be a real problem. Lots of them on Cat 36's. Good luck. Rick D.

M

Mal Trotter

Thanks Rick, Steve, Larry & Miles

Thanks for input guys. Rick, did you mean that the ST4000 was the unit that worked well for so long? Steve, I am not familiar with Simrad - is this a model or a brand? If it's a model, do you know the manufacturer?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Correct, Mel. It was the ST 4000.

A club member put one on his 340. He did have to make a hole for the motor to recess into. RD

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Simard

Simrad (this is the manufacturer) is the old Navico unit. They make a WP30 (model) (interface for NEMA 183) and a WP10 (model). These units are made in England (I think). They have recently lowered the retail price to somewhere in the $750 price range including the remote. They are rated for a larger load than the Autohelm units. The picture that you will see on their website is the entire unit. Attach to the pedestal and to the wheel, unit your wires down to an electrical source and your GPS and you are ready to go.

M

mike kinney

watch the weather helm

I've found the Autohelm 4000 to be just adequate. The key to not frying the belt is to keep an eye on the weather helm.

S

Scott

Look hard for an alternative to ST4000

My advice is to really check out the alternatives to Raymarine. I do not care for my st4000 it is useless when the wind is behind the beam. It can't seem to track a straight line (yes I've gone through the settings) and it is expensive to fix when it breaks which it does! I posted a bad experience I had with Raymarine last summer, earlier this year. Check the archives there are plenty of opinions about this unit good and bad.... Scott

M

M. Watton

Auto Pilot

I had a 336 in 1995. (I believe the 336 is essentially the same as a 340) The 4000 specs showed that it would be at it's limit or beyond in any moderate weather. I opted for the ST7000(same as ST6000, different head control)It has plenty of reserve power which you will need with that big main. I was out in rough conditions a couple of times and the ST7000 was perfect. Handled the boat just fine. Now have a 376 also with a ST7000 and it handles that boat just as well. So, have had two of thse units over the last 6 years with no problems or breakdowns.

J

John C

ST 4000 (steer it yourself)

The ST 4000 will only be up to motoring and light winds, go for a quadrant fitted unit if you seriously want the thing to work. I have a ST 4000 on my Hunter 34 and it is underpowered and quirky.

Status
Not open for further replies.