Autohelm 4000+ out of control for 320

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Dale

I installed a Autohelm 4000 on my hunter 320, and the can't seem to get the hang of it. I set the response level to 2, but even so the mechanism tends to fishtail, and eventually after 5-10 minutes completely goes out of control. Secondly, I am planning to attach the unit to a gps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
If You Haven't Already, Re-boot

Start with a fresh cold-install. Also, assume you've checked the compass location to be assured all is well and nothing around to cause a magnetic distortion, including electronics. I had this happen on my first installation and it seemed to fix it. If not, or if you already did so, call Raymarine. They have a good tech department. Also, they will walk you through some diagnostics to at least be sure what is acting up if it is necessary to do a warranty fix. I did have a bad head on one unit, once. Rick D.

M

Mike Webster

Other Things to Consider

Rick's right. Anything magnetic around the fluxgate sensor can cause your autopilot to act eratic, but a bad control head could also do the same. You might check to see if you have a cockpit speaker mounted somewhere near the fluxgate sensor. That will definitely cause problems, and causes the unit to act even more eratic when the radio is on. If this is the problem, you can purchase magnetically shielded speakers that might solve the problem. If there isn't a speaker near the sensor, and you can't find any other metal objects (ferrous metal, which will attract a magnet, not aluminum) near the sensor head, its time to call Raymarine direct. Remember, the metal can be on the other side of a bulkhead and still affect the sensor.

S

Steve

Setup

My 4000+ on my 320 fishtailed up to 45 degrees or so until I finally got the right set up dialed in. It was last year, but the response was only part of it. Once set up, I think the response was 2 for power, and I dropped it or raised it one for sail. I would tell you what the set up is, but I sent my unit to Raymarine for a different problem for a repair, and now it now longer drives the motor. By the way, it still has the original problem. When it works, it works well. I will advise when it comes back again. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.