Auto Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim B.

I just bought a 98 376. I want to install an auto pilot Where is the best location for this, and what is the best auto pilot to install?

D

Daniel Jonas

Autopilot

Tim, I'm not sure there are that many choices of manufacturer. We have a Raytheon 4000+ wheel, which is fine for our boat. If you went Raytheon, I would sugest a below decks autopilot which would be a 5000+ or more (6000, 7000). The location of the installation will be dependent upon the actuating system you require, there are several choices. Even if you intend to install it yourself, you might want to buy it through a dealer, and pay him to give you some advice and check it out after install. We did that, and he was very helpful (Thank-you Johnson and Hicks in Santa Cruz, it does not get any better than these guys). Dan Jonas (S/V Feije)

E

Ed Schenck

Simrad. . . . .maybe.

My H37C displaces over 18000 and the Simrad WP30 seems to work just fine in pretty tough conditions on Lake Erie. But recently I have been reading here on HOW that people are having trouble with calibration. I did not, have not. However you will read about a lot more problems with the A4000. The beauty of the Simrad is that everything is self-contained. You do not have to "locate" anything except the cable through the pedestal. And the WP30 is rated for quite a lot more displacement than the A4000. Having said all that if money were no object I would agree with Dan. I would go with something below deck on a boat as good as the 376.

D

Doug

Raytheon 6000

I plan to use Raytheon 6000 on my '98 376. The 5000 probably could handle it, but I believe it is packaged with the linear drive. The 6000 allows you to select the components. Your console has a platform, under the pull out cup holder, which you can mount a rotary drive which connects to the wheel shaft. Most of the 376's use this arrangement. I would stick with Raytheon which uses seatalk to interface with the other Raytheon (formerly Autohelm) instruments. Give them a call and get their recommendations. Does you boat also have the Whitlock steering? If so, I think they have an adapter for the wheel shaft connection. Raytheon or Hunter should be able to help you here. Let me know what you end up doing. Good luck. Doug s/v Tenacious h376

M

M Watton

376 Auto Pilot

The 6000 with the rotory drive is the way to go. I have a 7000 on my 376 and it works great. I've had it in some rough seas and it just keeps going. The only difference from the 6000 to 7000 is the control head.

P

Phil Rains

Raytheon 6000

I'll add my endorsement to the ST 6000. I tried the 4000 (to save a few bucks) and it just didn't have the power to keep the helm in line in moderate seas. To my good fortune, the electronics fried within warranty and Raytheon gave me credit on the 4000 toward the 6000. Of course, I paid for two separate installations. My lesson learned...whenever I've had to make a size decision on any component for the 376 (autopilot, anchor, pumps, batteries, etc), always go UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.