Auto Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Not sure

I am sure no wires to it but never really know what it is for except to just align that ring mounted to the steering wheel,I did take the ring apart off the steeringing wheel once when the auto gave me trouble on a long offshore trip and it just pointed into a slot in the ring.
Sorry but my manuals are in florida.
Nick

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
That peg goes into a slot in the back of the ring to keep the back part of the ring from turning so that the wheel turns.. Jorge, if you will send an e-mail to me, I can send a copy of the manual for the Raymarine that shows all the parts.. kloudie1@cox.net
I sent you the e-mail
I think I got it!
Because one part of the ring turns, but the other part does not
Thanks for helping

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Try simrad.com. WP 30's are obsolete. I have some info, and I got replacemnt belts from a belt company. I don't like mine, even with a new belt it is too grabby and it does not settled down quickly enuff to hold a course in a narrow channel like the GICW. E-mail me if I can help

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
The grey ring looks like the one from the Smart Pilot X-5. Go on Raymarine site and you can down load all the manuals and installation instructions. The ring may work with an older head but if not it needs the computer,fluxgate compass, the grey pin you described, there is one for a flat mount and one for pedestal, drive motor. If bulk head mounted there is also a metal ring and gasket that seals the motor on the bulk head.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
Claude is correct. All the steering loads are handled by the pin that is attached to the pedestal.. One thing I should have added with my original post. I have ripped two sets of screws out of my pedestal. First were the self tapping screws that came with the unit. Second were the machine screws that were drilled and tapped. I ended up using 1/4" monel rivets, (three bucks apiece) and they have held up for two years, This is the weak link of an otherwise bulletproof autopilot.

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
I was happily bidding on a complete unit, minus the auto pilot wheel, when some one outbidded me and took it all
It was a nice price, and I thought I had it covered, but no; how mean !
Will try again
It was going for $80, I bidded $140, and it went for a few dollars more.
Tra-la-la-la ( to the tune of " for a few dollars more"
If anyone out there is tired of an auto pilot, let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.