Auto pilot wiring - out of room!

Manete

Feb 5, 2020
Catalina 30 MKIII Middle River
With the boat in another state, and a 1.5 hour drive from home; between actually sailing or going down for a work day, it's taking me months to finish installing a Raymarine EV-100 Autohelm. My last problem is there is no more space to run wiring down the pedestal.
Thus far I have both the throttle and gear cables (2ea), the GPS cable (1ea), and the autohelm motor power cable (1ea) that run down the interior of the pedestal and exiting through the bottom and aft through a slot in the idler bracket assembly. When you remove the access panel to the rudder drive wheel, you can see all the above cables exiting through the idler bracket and routed aft, through the fiberglass, and into the boat.

My problem is the autohelm control unit cable has connectors on both ends (Can't splice the cable...) and there simply is no more room through the slot on the idler bracket. Im thinking about using a dremmel tool to carve out just enough space on the bracket to route this last cable through.

Any thoughts from anyone that has installed an autopilot on a '94 Catalina 30 MKIII?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Is the idler bracket the same size as the base of your pedestal? I got around it by drilling a separate hole just fore of the bracket and running my plotter wire (which had connectors that were larger than the holes in idler) up inside the pedestal. I had previously used Dow 795 all around the base, so it was water proof.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You can cut and splice the SeaTalkNG cable. They don’t recommend it. Just use gel filled scotch locks or euro style terminal strip, or best of all male and female NMEA 2000 field installable ends.

I upsized my helm guard and ran all wires down the tubes, but 1” will hold a lot of wires.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
At least Les didn't share “Sawsall” suggestion. Perhaps he just reserves that for my boat.

Les’s suggestion will work.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
At least Les didn't share “Sawsall” suggestion. Perhaps he just reserves that for my boat.

Les’s suggestion will work.
mph Kohn your comment cuts me to the quick. I only suggested a sawsall on the speed sensor. It was Ken who recommended it for the sink and raw water. I am truest dissapointed that we ran out of time to give you a new speed sensor.
Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future.

For ever thing there is a season....

We have drilled holes, we’ve ground off nuts, I suspect we will be able to play with the sawsall.