Auto Pilot Simrad issues

Jun 1, 2019
Oday 30 Saugatuck
Hello Sailboat Forum,

Creating a separate thread as I’m getting close to a solution.

I have a Simrad WP30 Autopilot for my 1980 Oday 30. No issues for the 6 years we have owned her until now.

Autopilot engages, steering sounds weaker than usual. After about 5 to 10 minutes, one of two outcomes happens: either the autopilot stops working and a long continuous beep happens until I turn it off, OR the circuit breaker trips.

Voltage at 13v prior to engaging, 12.5 while running, two brand new batteries and I even replaced the belt of the autopilot. So odd I’m having issues now.

Previous thread found here:

Any ideas would be appreciated

Jim

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
12.5 V while running should be adequate, but there could be a wiring issue causing voltage drop between the batteries and the motor. Look for places where you could check the voltage with a multimeter at or near the motor. If the voltage is notably lower than 12.5 start looking for bad crimps or corrosion at wire connections.

Jun 1, 2019
Oday 30 Saugatuck
Update: re attached all wiring from autopilot to circuit breaker using crimping tools. Same issue, shuts off or long beeps after 5 minutes or so.

Possible issue: wire from the autopilot is a silver color (and smaller gauge)- then connects to a copper wire (larger gauge) in the engine room before going into the circuit breaker. Could this be the issue? Wrong size wire and type of wire? Why issues now after 6 years of owning the boat?

I’m about to google “insurance fraud penalty”

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Update: re attached all wiring from autopilot to circuit breaker using crimping tools. Same issue, shuts off or long beeps after 5 minutes or so.

Possible issue: wire from the autopilot is a silver color (and smaller gauge)- then connects to a copper wire (larger gauge) in the engine room before going into the circuit breaker. Could this be the issue? Wrong size wire and type of wire? Why issues now after 6 years of owning the boat?

I’m about to google “insurance fraud penalty”
Measuring the voltage at the autopilot will tell you if the wiring is causing the problem. It’s not unusual for a device like an AP to have a short section of its own wiring spliced to the longer wiring in the boat. The shorter AP wire is probably sized based on maximum ampacity relative to the motor’s draw. The longer run in the boat should be sized to minimize voltage drop based on ampacity and distance.

The fact that the longer wiring is copper colored suggests it’s not tinned, leaving it more susceptible to corrosion. Corrosion over time would explain the fact that it’s stopped working now. Lots of guessing without measuring voltages though.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not familiar with the Simrad WP30, but on my Raymarine wheel pilot, the motor unit has a wire loom that is a bit fragile. The wires on mine broke due to being able to move some. I rebuilt the motor and rewired the loom and it worked much better. Eventually I upgraded from an old ST4000 to a new (but old stock) ST6000.

Here is a video I made of my rewiring project.

You can check your voltage as others have suggested, and if you can identify if you have a break or a short or a partial short, you may be able to fix it.

Good luck with it,

Greg