Auto pilot installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2006
Hunter 34 610 Narragansett Bay
Raymarine below deck auto pilot

To all,

I've been offered a below deck autopilot. On the Raymarine website it is ST 6001 S1G SailPilot Linear Drive Pack, product# 12124. Has anyone installed this system on a Hunter 34 (1984 model) or has anyone installed this particular autopilot and can give me some advice.
Thanks,

Randy Church
Mental Floss
H34
Narragansett Bay, RI

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Randy...

I just started the installation of an S-1 Wheelpilot on my H34 to replace an slowly fading ST-4000. I don't think I would select the linear drive version due to the need to mount the linear drive somehow in the aft cabin space on the "ceiling". Will it fit under the steering cover? How will the linear ram be driven? Is it electric, or hydraulic? If it's hydraulic, does the "deal" include the pump and hoses? How's the pump driven?

The S-1 Wheel Pilot does require the installation of a rudder sensor, flux gate compass, a control head, and a centralized computer box. The drive ring on the wheel is an almost direct replacement, except for the wiring (it has a plug connector). The old ST-4000 was a lot less complex to install, but the S-1 appears to be a good replacement. And, it was half the cost of the latest X-5 Wheelpilot system!

Status
Not open for further replies.