Attention Hunter 37 Cutter Owners!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Hi. As some of you may know, I have been a devoted H37C owner for the past 18 years. During this time I have got to know many of you through this web site, email correspondence, and in person. I also have been maintaining a database of all our sisterships, or at least as many as I could find. This September my beautiful 1983 model, Calypso, was wrecked during Hurricane Dorian's visit to Nova Scotia. The insurance settlement was fair and reasonable, but I have moved on in life and in boats; I will not own another H37C. As a result, I have a few different items for sale in the Gear Classified section of SailBoatOwners.com. Please have a look and contact me via PM or at jameslegere[at]eastlink[dot]ca if you have any questions. Also, I am looking for someone to takeover maintaining the database. Its not a big effort and I guarantee you will meet some of the nicest folks sailing. Please contact me if you are interested in any of these things.

Very best wishes,
Jim

Halifax, Fall 2019

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Jim,

You've done a great job for a long time. It's sad loosing such a beautiful boat, but as you say, one must move on. Good luck with your next boat, or life adventure, as you decide. I hope another H37C owner will step up and take over from you.

Good luck to you!

dj

Jun 8, 2004
Good News. John Brecher, AKA Johnb, has kindly offered to take over as steward of the H37C database. The database started when Ed Schenck (RIP) and I started discussing the changes in the Hunter 37 Cutter over its production lifespan. We had input from John Cherubini II and various owners over the years and we were able to positively identify about 140 of the original 410+ Hunter 37C boats built. Any updates and information should be refered to Johnb in the future. Thanks for all your help and support in the past; please continue to support John in the future.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
DAMN! Really sorry to hear about the loss of Calypso, and wish you the best of luck with your next boat adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you in NYC so many years ago, and still listen to your daughter's CD fairly often. Please let us know of your progress in finding a new boat!

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks for your kind comments Rainer. I really enjoyed our meeting too. And some of the stove parts you gave me will live on in my new-to-me boat - a 1970 C&C Frigate 36 named "White Cloud II" (see my avatar picture). BTW, I intend to keep poking into this forum from time to time to see what the old gang is up to.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
That's a beautiful boat! Supposedly quite seaworthy. Does yours have the gasoline engine still in it?

dj

Jun 8, 2004
That's a beautiful boat! Supposedly quite seaworthy. Does yours have the gasoline engine still in it?

dj
Its been repowered with a Yanmar. I'll post more about the new boat over in the C&C section of SBO.

Jun 8, 2004
So, back to the Hunter 37 Cutter. My boat was well equipped and maintained. Other than the hull below the waterline and the electrical panel, there was almost no damage. The marina near me has taken the boat from the insurance company and will be parting her out. Everything from diesel to spars to hatches to winches and stanchions. A Cape Horn wind vane self-steering. And much more. Anyone looking for parts to keep their H37C sailing should contact Eric Smith at Shining Waters Marine. For stuff that I have for sale, please see my classified ad here at SBO.

sailnc

Sep 6, 2014
Hunter 37C New Bern, NC
Jim, I'm late to this discussion I know, but I also wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss of Calypso.
Our H37C was dealt a similar fate by Hurricane Florence in 2018, here in NC. We'd had her hauled out, but the storm surge lifted her off the jackstands and she was blown across the harbor, striking a low bridge thus dismasting her, and then crushed under the bridge by rising water. It was 2 or 3 weeks before the Coast Guard even found the wreckage and was able to trace it back to me.
In the 1.5 years since, my wife has convinced me to look at power cruising boats... yeah, probably gonna go over to the dark side :)
I have some sails, the staysail boom, and other gear that I removed from the boat prior to the hurricane, and I'm starting to post those in the For Sale classifieds area of these forums.
Best regards,
Tom

Jun 8, 2004
Hi Tom,
thanks for your kind words and commiseration. Sorry about the loss of your boat as well. Its hard to lose a boat - they become a part of your life. In the 18 years we owned our Hunter 37 Cutter, our kids grew up, we had many great family cruises and a lot of great sailing. The boat always took care of us but, in the end, we could not protect her from the hurricane. Boats can be replaced; people cannot. And memories are what we take away with us. Let's hope we can all navigate safely through this crazy pandemic and make some more memories of good times sailing.
Best wishes,
Jim