Attaching bridle for adjustable backstay

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Looking for direction to attach the "other" side of the backstay bridle to create an adjustable setup on my Capri 22... advice, photos, direction welcome. I have no existing holes in the transom and I'm curious if there is metal under the top edge of the transom that I might just tap into. Going 8:1 but open to advice from that perspective as well.

Thanks,
Steve S.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
My Capri came with the race package and the adjustable backstay was already installed.

Try drilling a pilot hole for inspecting the material. I don't expect there is metal support but I do know that some Catalina 22 do have metal under that fiberglass.

Worst case, you will have to make a hole in the fuel locker. Make sure that you spread the load with a metal plate. I have seen somewhere (West Marine, Jamestown?) of a toggle that will allow you to drill the hole but not need to cut the access port in a blind access situation like this. It was about $40 each but may be worth the expense in this case.

John

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
If you've got some gelcoat repair goo it wouldn't be that hard to drill a hole about a foot from the tiller on each side, top of the transom and test for the metal plate. I *think* they probably all have a plate there, but I can't swear to it. Fitting is a rather beefy one, basically a blade with a hole. I suppose the hole in the plate is threaded somehow.

Here's a link to a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36153401@N08/7485795064/sizes/l/in/set-72157630398956376/

Starboard side terminates the first section of cable. Port side has all of the pulleys & gear terminated to a pair of triangular plates. One corner to the pin, one to the blocks, and the other to the end of another cable.

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Thanks john and csin, that looks like one VERy nice boat. I look forward to getting mine in the water, hopefully this weekend. Tons of work to do (duh) but I think we can make it happen.

Steve

Jul 3, 2013
Hi Steve

I installed an adjustable backstay last year
There is a ½” brass plate located on the port side transom
I started with a small diameter bit and progressively moved to larger ones
I then tapped the hole and installed a chainplate from Catalina direct

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... duct_ID=21

The finished product looks just like it was a factory install
I put the port chainplate in same location as a the starboard side

Sail Fast,
Bob

May 15, 2010
Capri 22 Central Florida
Thanks Bob.... I am not at the boat, so I'll have a look when I am there. I presume the 1/2" brass is across the top of the transom, similar to a Catalina 22. Should be pretty straight forward I would think...

This boat is bone stock with a new bottom (WKSR, Racing main, roller furling stock jib) so any must-have or highly suggested improvement recommendations would be appreciated. I have a spinnaker on the way, have a pole that'll work and I think I have a lead on a genoa as well. The rudder is OK but has a couple small cracks on the seams that need attention. I plan to make another rudder (as we've done with a few SJ 21s) and I was considering slightly skinnier, slightly deeper profile to adjust the aspect ratio. I do suspect Catalina has it pretty well balanced, so perhaps that's not a great idea; we'll try to think it through ahead of time either way.

Thanks again,
Steve S.