Attaching A Mast Hound

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
I am attaching a mast hound to lower the point where I attach my mast raising system. My thought is to rivit it to the mast at about the 7 foot point. Just read an old post about the higher up on the mast the more tension and therefore problems when you put holes in the mast. So I am looking, as always, for expert guidance.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
a hound is probably not the best... I have a bail on mine that aligns itself with the angle as the mast raises....
my raising bail it at the 6ft mark, but 7 would be better.... just dont get it so high that you cant reach it easily.
the higher it is, the LESS tension there will be....

you can search my albums and see my system and how it connects, which works well in all conditions, no matter if you are on the water or in an un-level parking lot..... last season, as were were getting ready to trailer the boat from our vacation on lake tahoe, while we were motoring across the middle of the lake, on autopilot, with a bit of a wind, we stowed the sails, removed the boom, stowed all the lines in the manner that works for us, and lowered the mast to the rear crutch....
then we stowed the mast in the forward crutch, tied it down and secured all the wires... we were ready for the highway long before we even reached the ramp and trailer.

I designed it specifically so that I could quickly lower the mast on the water, even if a bit rough, to get under bridges, AND for ease of rigging and de-rigging while on the water...

Mar 28, 2015
Centerline as always thanks for the great advice now, what is a bail and how is it different than a hound? ok found out what a bail is and will order one it looks like that instead of rivits it would use a through bolt. That would also allow me to install tangs to attach baby stays later. Any recommendations on the grade of bolt or size of tbe bail?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
like this.... dont let the price scare you, cuz there are affordable ones too.... this is just the first page that popped up in my search for a picture

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
the higher it is, the LESS tension there will be....
This wasn't intuitive so I had to draw up a static diagram to verify it. Sure enough, you're right.

like this.... dont let the price scare you, cuz there are affordable ones too.... this is just the first page that popped up in my search for a picture
I think I paid $12 for one on eBay.

Mar 28, 2015
Anybody know the measurement of the M25 mast at about 7 feet up? With the mast hound I did not have much of a choice but it seems that there are more choices with a bail so I would want to get the right size. Right now, we are digging out from an almost 2' snow storm so I can't quite make it to my boat to take the measurement myself. Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2012
The original mast extrusion on the macs are the same dimension the entire length... I cant remember the dimensions though, and im on the other boat this weekend so i cant measure for you...

Mar 28, 2015
The original mast extrusion on the macs are the same dimension the entire length... I cant remember the dimensions though, and im on the other boat this weekend so i cant measure for you...
Thanks Centerline. I'll look at the specs and see if I can find it.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
If I recall, the masts are 3" x 4", or very close to that.

Mar 28, 2015
Just talked to Ezra at BWY and got the bail I needed. Yes, the inside dimension is 3". Great guy to work with!