Atomic 4 Reverse / Forward Position

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out some stupid issues on an Irwin 28 I just purchased. She has a really clean re-built Atomic 4, which unfortunately I am unfamiliar with.

In my cockpit I have a small panel where my choke and key ignition is, then a bit further back I have my small throttle lever right next to a larger clutch lever.

Here comes the dumb questions:

I already am assuming that the throttle put in a forward position (towards the bow) throttles the engine up and gives more power.

As far as I can tell from crawling around the engine compartment and checking the lines I am right on that.

As for the clutch I am a bit more perplexed. It seems to lock in a straight up position which I am assuming is neutral or almost neutral as the Atomic 4 manual describes it as the "Reduction Gear" basically meaning I never really have a neutral, it is just idling lightly.

Then I see that the only position the clutch goes in is back (towards the stern), it will not go forward beyond the locked straight up position. So I am assuming pulling the clutch into a backwards position is forward drive.

So my dumb question is do I have a reverse? As much as I have researched all over the internet I have never heard of a Atomic 4 with no reverse. But as I've read from the Atomic 4 manual, perhaps I only have a reduction gear or idle which is the locked straight up position.

Can anyone give me some insight as how to operate the clutch, and what your best guess would be as how I go forward and reverse? Seems like something I will figure out once she is in the water, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has experience being as dumbfounded as I am. Thanks for your insight!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
As I understand things, the locked detent is Forward. there is no positive lock to Neutral. Then for many of us, reverse is a "rotate backwards and hold down" sort of affair.

It may well be that you are locking into Forward in your upright position. If that is the case, you will pull the clutch lever WAY backwards and hold it down, possibly near the floor even.

I know that seems odd, and it is maybe not the correct answer but this is from my recollection.

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
Thanks Phil, so I guess idling the engine would be more on the throttle keeping it off the gas. So basically I am going to start the engine with the choke out and the throttle with just a little gas to get her going. Then push the choke back in and let her idle. Then move the clutch into the locked upright position for going forward, and all the way back for reverse. That does sound like it makes sense. I'm going to have to test her out once she is in the water this coming weekend. I'll have a few guys with me to make sure I don't drive her into the dock, but I'll go light on the gas until things are more clear. I really appreciate your insight.

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
atomic 4

The suggestions on the shifting sound correct, as I own an older Morgan with an A4. I might suggest that if yours is fitted with a mechanical fuel pump that you give the primer bail a few pumps to prime the carb before you crank the starter.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I too have an A4 and can confirm what others have said. There is no actual locked in reverse gear. 'Neutral' is the area just behind the locked in position. It's not really designed to run much in reverse. It will also make some whine noise too. You don't want to run wide open in reverse either. Short bursts to stop momentum or low rpm works best. Don't know how familiar you are with the engine, but if it was rebuilt recently, chances are it was done with parts and guidance from, or entirely by, Moyer Marine. This is an excellent site for info and parts. The service and overhaul manual is indispensable.

Apr 23, 2012
C&C 29 MKI Niagara on the Lake Sailing Club
Two comments:
First do not put to sea to try to find out what is going on. Return might be difficult if you cannot get into forward or reverse, or if they have switched position. Tie her to the dock and put two spring lines on to keep her in place and fire it up with the hatches open so you can see the tranny shift lever. She won't go anywhere and you can stand with the experts and discuss what you see.
Second the A4 has a planetary gear transmission which goes into reverse when you pull back on the lever and the band clamp seizes the planetary. (This you remember from your Ford Model T experience, right)? Sometimes when the bands wear you have to adjust the nut on the band clamp to keep her in gear. Rarely. All is revealed in the A4 manual which you purchased from Moyer Marine. (Or xeroxed from the old guy in the basin).
Then you could have a JProp like I do and it on occasion feathers reverse of the solar system. In that case call my rigger since I don't have a clue as what he did, but he lifted the boat three times and didn't talk to me for a couple months.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
to clarify what others have said, you should be able to lock it in the forward position... there is also a neutral and there is a reverse. but neither neutral or reverse has a detent to lock them in. in neutral it will stay in that position as the engine runs, by friction alone
but for reverse, you must hold the lever snuggly in to position as the clutching mechanisim will slip if you dont and it will cause unnecessary heat build up and no solid reverse power delivered to the prop.
holding it firmly engaged will prevent the slippage and allow good reverse driving power when needed.

the "reduction gear" refers to the gear box after the transmission, not to any specific type or operator usage of the device.
it is the reduction gear box that brings the prop shaft to the proper speed for the type and requirements of the engine, as the transmission is usually a 1:1 drive, meaning one revolution at the input shaft equates to one revolution at the output shaft...

because the lever seems to be vertical when locked in, I would assume that it is out of time.
its possible that it could be adjusted so that neutral is the vertical position (preferred), and forward and reverse are in their respective positions, but this may entail more effort and engineering than its worth at the moment.