Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway - Dismal Swamp Canal

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Not sure where to post something like this. All Sailors seemed 'bout as good as anything.
US Army Corps of Engineers - Norfolk District Website - Link is below

Effective January 8, 2024, the Dismal Swamp Canal will be closed to navigation due to a planned infrastructure refurbishment project at the Deep Creek Locks in Chesapeake, Virginia. The closure is expected to last through March 31, 2024. Visitors to Lake Drummond will be able to access the Dismal Swamp Canal via the South Mills Locks in South Mills, North Carolina or from the various boat ramps along the canal. Vessels transiting the Atlantic Intracoastal Water Way must use the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal as an alternate route during this time frame.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
From what I've seen, the Dismal Canal is barely navigable in the first place. I wouldn't want to do it on any sailboat.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
From what I've seen, the Dismal Canal is barely navigable in the first place. I wouldn't want to do it on any sailboat.
There was comments on one of the Facebook post mentioning the same thing. USACEs responded with a picture of a barge, crane and a dredge saying they were on it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is a quite navigable for many boats with draft 6 ft or less. It can be done with a little deeper draft, however the keel will bump in a few places. The canal does require paying attention because it is narrow and in some places the opening in the tree canopy is fairly narrow. The canopy is 50+ feet high.

The Dismal Swamp Canal was one the highlights of our trip south. We went through in early November 2021. I would not go through the canal in the summer. The bugs would take all of the fun out of it.

1704889117240.png

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
The Dismal Swamp Canal is a whole lot more relaxing than the alternate (actually the primary ICW). Power boats tend not to bother with the Dismal Swamp Canal due to speed and wake restrictions. The North Carolina US17 rest stop has free overnight docking, so a transit can be a leisurely 2 day affair.

The US17 drawbridge at Deep Creek is being replaced, and the lock is being refurbished at the same time. Beyond the south end of the canal, Elizabeth City still offers its famed hospitality and free docking for transients. FWIW, most of the towns on Albemarle Sound have taken to emulating Elizabeth City in welcoming pleasure boaters with free docking at their downtown waterfront - see Columbia, Edenton, Plymouth, Albemarle Plantation. There are others, I just haven't tried them yet.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The reason I wrote that I would avoid it was the tree canopy. Where I viewed the canal from roadside there was little room for a mast. Worse than that, many of those trees are close to the bank of the canal. Some must occasionally fall in across the canal. That is my concern. Maybe the government patrols and removes trees - I don’t know. If not or not often enough, your keel is the search tool. Turning around with the canopy is something I’d avoid.
But the no wake and no speeding boats would appeal to me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The reason I wrote that I would avoid it was the tree canopy. Where I viewed the canal from roadside there was little room for a mast. Worse than that, many of those trees are close to the bank of the canal. Some must occasionally fall in across the canal. That is my concern. Maybe the government patrols and removes trees - I don’t know. If not or not often enough, your keel is the search tool. Turning around with the canopy is something I’d avoid.
But the no wake and no speeding boats would appeal to me.
The section with the tree canopy issue is relatively small, most of the canal is more like the photo I posted. Turning around in the canal does mean paying attention to the bottom, the shore, and the trees above. Learning to back and fill before entering the canal is highly recommended. Once in the canal there is little reason turn around. For the most part the traffic is one way and seasonal. In the fall traffic is headed south. Rafting for over night stays at the Rest Area is required.