Asymmetrical Spinnaker for 2006 Hunter 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

deacm

May 27, 2004
Hunter 36 Erie, PA
I've searched this forum with a number of key words and I cannot find any threads from people who have added an asymmetrical spinnaker to their Hunter 36. If that's the case, can anyone give some input as to their experience of installing and sailing it? I might like to contact you directly as well. Thanks

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Here's a picture of a 356 that is on this forum (blue, yellow & white spinnaker). The other is a pic of my 35.5 with an akite and a sprit I built for it.
You can fly an akite from just about any boat, all you need are some rig dimensions.
For easy off wind sailing it's terrific! Go for it you'll love it. :D

Attachments

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Rigging advice...

We are planning to add an asym to our 2003 H356 and could use some rigging advice, i.e. tack attachment, sheet blocks, etc.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
I got an asym from Quantum that I like very much. They offer a range of styles: flatter (more reaching), fatter (more downwind), etc. I got a mid-range. Also got the furling sock. The only new pieces of hardware were two 3" Harken blocks for the sheets, attached to a ring on the arch, and a 2.5" or 3" Harken block that I attached to the anchor roller fitting for the downhaul. I lead the downhaul back to one of the cabin top winches. Come to think of it, I must have ordered a spin halyard when I got the boat, so if you didn't, I guess you'll need to add that, too. In any event, hoist the asym with the spin halyard, pull it down with the downhaul, sheet it with a sheet to the block at the stern, led to a jib winch for trimming. Pretty simple as these things go, and very effective, especially in light air broad reaching and running. I like it quite a bit. Two people can fly it, I suspect I could fly it myself in lighter air if motivated. This is on an H356, so would be virtually the same for a 36. Glad to talk further.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
More

Been thinking about getting a spinnaker for my 07 H-36 so keep it coming with more info,I don't know any thing about these sails so any help would be very much appreciated.
Every time we see a boat out sailing one we love it and think they would really help with down wind.
Nick

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
Bowsprit

Email me for pix and direx on inexpensive but durable DIY bowsprit to extend the asym spinnaker well beyond the main. bodonovan@vagazette.com. Sailors have more fun with spins because they really move you downwind. And you look terrific.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
HI Deac! Alan's posted a picture of Escape above, and Paul's almost exactly described our rigging-the only difference is we used a set of reefing line blocks to bring the guy (downhaul for the tack) back to a turning block on the arch and then forward to a jam cleat on the side of the cockpit (just like the jib furling line). That's a Doyle APC, I highly recommend them. We love flying the chute. As an alternative, look at a Doyle UPS-cut flatter, more like a code zero. The APC works well with wind angles from 90-180, while the APC can be used on a close reach in light air down to about 150 degrees. Be sure to talk to the sailmaker about your plans and check details. I've seen chutes from 850 to 1050 square feet (guess which I've got) offered for the 356 and it's a big difference

JohnEh

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 36 Baton Rouge
UPS Power Sail

We have a Power Sail for our Hunter 36. It will furl up and is easy to attach. It is great for light wind and will work better down wind but can also work up wind. It will not work at 0/360 as ther needs to be some angle on the wind. Be very careful though if the wind picks up because you may need to drop it fast.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
Just purchased a Doyle APC (all purpose chute) a few months ago for our H386. I had to add padeyes on the stern toe rail along with two Garheuer turning blocks to manage the sheets. Up front I attached a turning block to the anchor roller and lead the tack line aft along the stanchions and to a new cleat I installed on the port side coaming. The boat already had a spinnaker halyard, so all I had to add was new sheets (Doyle provides only a 20' tack line and no spinnaker sheets). I replaced Doyle's tack line with a 54' line. I now only have to raise the ATN sock and secure it's line to the bow cleat, then walk back to the helm to control the tack and sheets. Fairly ease, with two people much easier. Great addition to the sail inventory. Doyle's APC is easy to fly, efficient and well made.

Status
Not open for further replies.