asymmetrical pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mauro C. Dal Canto

I have a 1994 Hunter 40 which is a joy to sail in the unpredictable waters of Lake Michigan. The only problem I see is in its different handling on port versus starboard side, when pointing close to the wind. While on port side I can go as close as 30 degrees from apparent wind with no luffing at all, on starboard side, it starts luffing, the main before the jib, at about 40-45 degrees no matter what I do. I suppose no boat sails perfectly symmetrical, but this seems a bit excessive of a difference. What part of the rigging should I tigthen or loosen to make it as close to symmetrical as possible? Or is the solution in something else? Thank you in advance for your reply. Mauro C. Dal Canto

J

Justin Wolfe

Jib leads?

I would check the jib cars first. Are they in the same position? Are the tracks really symmetrically located. It sounds from your description that the jib lead is too far inboard on one tack causing the main to backwind. If the jib isn't luffing differently from tack to tack you have a jib lead problem that should be curable. Measure out the jib tracks. They may not be in the same position.

M

Michael Cohn

Otherwise

I've seen this happen once or twice on boats with really poorly faired keels and/or rudders.. It's an unlikely thing, but definitely possible if you can't find anything else. I'm betting that the rig is grossly out of tune.. MC

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
wind guage

you might try recalibrating your wind guage first. all it takes is a five degree skew to one side to get the type of results you're describing. mine loses calibration all the time, thanks to the vhf antenna being mounted too close, and makes it seem is if the rig has twisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.