asymmetrical chute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
It seems the search function isn't working or there is nothing on asymmetrical chutes in the archives? I just bought an aspin and want to fly it asap(no excitement here) and intend to fab up some kind of a bowsprit but until i figure it out I was wondering where the second best place for the tack block would be. I don't think the pulpit is a good spot for strength reasons. After researching the topic at length I think I vote for jibing the sail on the outside of the forstay. any thoughts? Thanks

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
The search wasn't working for me last night.
I have run my spinnaker outside of the forstay with no problems.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
jibing an asymetrical

The only way that I've ever heard/seen an asymetrical jibed is forward of the forestay. That would drive your selection of tack block location forward of the forestay also. I agree the pullpit is not a good solution due to strength. How about the anchor spirit? If it is strong enough to secure the boat it should be strong enough for a sail tack. Just need a way to keep it out of the mud when not in use. I'm planning on adding an asymetrical this winter and am just going to afix a strap to the anchor spirit which will take the tack block via a snap shackle. Just put it on as part of putting the asymeterical up so it does not get wrapped up in the anchor rode when not in use.
FWIW

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 410 Charlevoix, MI
run a downhaul line forward from the cockpit -- under the anchor roller - up to the tack of the sail -- not as far forward as ideal but it works and allows adjustment of hte tack height and luff tension.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 40 Newport Beach, CA
Ayso

It seems the search function isn't working or there is nothing on asymmetrical chutes in the archives? I just bought an aspin and want to fly it asap(no excitement here) and intend to fab up some kind of a bowsprit but until i figure it out I was wondering where the second best place for the tack block would be. I don't think the pulpit is a good spot for strength reasons. After researching the topic at length I think I vote for jibing the sail on the outside of the forstay. any thoughts? Thanks
Definitely prefer jibing ayso forward of the forestay. I run my tack line from the bow anchor roller which extends forward of the bow pulpit. Be sure your running lights don't get in the way.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
...also make sure you're not using a genoa halyard as a spinnaker halyard. A jib/genoa halyard will chafe through in no time. Spinnaker halyards always ride outside the forestay.

Here's a pic of the sprit I built for my boat.

Attachments

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Bow Sprit

Thankyou everyone, that was better than a search anyway. Allan, I like your sprit. I have a 13ft chunk of sched 40 aluminum in the garage that I am hopeing to adapt as a bowsprit. Any chance of more pictures of yours, up close? I'd like to see how you attached it to the deck. It must be retractable? Thanks, Ian

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Ian, that's exactly what I used. I bought a 20' length of 4" schedule 40 and cut a 9' piece for the sprit. The inboard end is a Malron spinnaker pole trigger release. It attaches to a pole chock on the toerail for stowing and another mounted just aft of the anchor locker when deployed. The forward mount I designed and built from T6061 aluminum. It articulates to allow the sprit to clear the anchor locker.

Attachments

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Allan, that is a very clever setup, gets the wheels turning here. I flew the chute last week from a piece of webbing wrapped on the anchor roller just to see. It was great. I can see how the sprit is going to work that much better. Nice looking aspin Stephen. Cheers, Ian

Oct 13, 2010
Hunter 39 Geelong
I run my rigging on the outside of the forestay with an ATN tacker and it works really well.
Hi Stephen

I am about to order an ATN Tacker for my H39 and am interested in your setup. How do you rig the downhaul on your tack line? Do you run a line back to the cockpit?

Cheers, Peter

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Peter,

ATN tacker works great since it comes with the appropriate clips and floats if it falls in the water unlike the parallel beads I purchased (they sink if they slip out of your hands and fall into the water). The tackline either can be lead from the tack of the sail, through a block as far forward on the bow as you can get it (I use the bow roller), and then back to the bow cleat (this is what I do) or all the way back to a cockpit cleat, with enough purchase that you can adjust it under load. The benefit of bringing it to the cockpit is that you can adjust the height of the tack off the bow, otherwise if tied off at the bow you have to set its length based on wind speed. Things will be simplest of you plan to hoist the sail on the same side of the forestay as you led the tack line. Tie off the tackline with enough slack that the tack of the aspin will be able to fly several feet above the bow. I do not run mine to the cockpit since I did not purchase that extra line and it works fine tied off at the bow with a short line. Suggest setting up the aspin at the dock.

Cheers, Steve

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The major issue with the ATN Tacker is that it prevents the tack from floating out away from the bow. This forces the sail to fly closer to the windshadow of the main restricting how far off the wind you can sail. The main reason for a sprit is to increase separation between the main and flying sail as much as possible allowing it to fly on deep reaches in clear air.

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 38 Honolulu, HI
I a bit curious as to what model boat you’re in reference too? I have a 38 and actually have a good time when we haul up the asymmetrical. The point of contact that I have used for the first two years was the anchor roller with a Garhauer bail. Then I went to the Seldon PA system that I mounted to the anchor roller. With this system I am able to extend the pole out 36" past the end of the roller. This way I’m able to create clean wind and able to jibe. When I'm not using it I remove the 3" dia pole and stow it.
Please feel free to email me any question on the Hunter line up allan.emas@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.