Asymmetric Spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MJ

I am considering purchasing an asymmetric spinnaker. The racing spinnaker seems too gear and labor intensive for me. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the subject? Is the higher performance worth the expense and trouble? Is it difficult to rig, furl etc? Can I use an extra jib halyard and masthead sheave, or do I need to install an external block? Thanks!

C

Claude L.-Auger

Gennaker works for me

I solo on my 34 on a regular basis and frequently use my Gennaker. I ordered it with a sock and it is easy to install and fly. Like a spinnaker it has to fly ahead of the stay. I use a block on the masthead with an outside halyard led to the cockpit. I tack it in front of the stay and run the sheets ahead of the roller furler so I can gybe it easily. Works well for me. I do not get the same downwind performance as a spinnaker, but it sure beats being dead in the water. If I have a crew and get a nice broadside wind, I'll use it and reallly get the boat moving. Good Luck

V

Vic

Works well on 272 ...

definitely not as versatile as reg spinaker, but as long as you don't have to sail direct down wind is good. check link below for pictures of Seven under gennaker from CD. I wouldn't solo without autopilot ... The sock is good at keeping a good degree of control. to gibe I haul in the main, let the working sheet go ... which womps the gennaker out in front of the roller gib and haul in on the other sheet as we continue the gibe and let out the main. best to do it fast and under 30 sec. as the two sheet wipping around seem to have a life of their own. Am using the jib hallard so have to remember to launch and retrieve on the same tack as sock lines get tangled. Great help in light wind to keep boat moving.

D

David Foster

20-30 percent less time on iron genny

In two weeks of cruising on lake Erie this summer, the 1-3 knots added by our asymetric chute meant that we only cruised on the engine 2 out of 13 days. Friends out cruising at the same time reported using the engine 40 to 50 percent of the time. That's a big deal for us, because we much prefer the sound and feel of water and waves alone! David Lady Lillie

S

Steve

Easy to Fly

I have a 320, and bought the asymetrical from HunterOwner's. I have flown it with just my wife and I on board, so it is easy. While I don't have the performance of the a regular spinnaker, I also don't have the crew requirements. It depends on what you want out of the sail on what kind you get. For small crew and easy flying, go asymetrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.