Asymm Spinnaker Halyard Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 1981 C-30 Milwaukee
I have a 1981 C30 TRBS. My jib and main halyards are run internally using the factory mast head assembly. I am planning to add an Asymmetrical Spinaker to my boat which has never been rigged for a Spinnaker. I would prefer to run the Asymm halyard internal on the second forward mast head sheave as well. I am hoping to get some input from others who have rigged internal Spinnaker halyards on C30 tall rigs. My concern is at the head of the sail.
I have a Harken furling swivel for my jib furler at the top of the forestay, In addition, I am using a jib halyard restrainer at the top of the mast. I will be gibing the sail outside to avoid the aforementioned rigging when it comes across. That said, I am still concerned about the Spinnaker halyard catching and chaffing on the forestay tang, etc.
I have heard of some using the mast head crane Catalina Direct offers but, I'm not convinced there is not a more elegant solution.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I would prefer to run the Asymm halyard internal on the second forward mast head sheave as well. I am hoping to get some input from others who have rigged internal Spinnaker halyards on C30 tall rigs.
The problem with this solution is that it does not allow for the lead angle to be off center. A jib will always be a vertical pull up the forestay but the spinnaker will be off-center and will jam in the block. I installed my halyard on the forward pin and ran it down to an exit plate about 4' from the top. You can add an exit plate at about 8' above deck so you can "jump the halyard" or use the 2nd jib halyard exit block at the base.

Aug 1, 2011
Hayden, Thank you. I agree with your assessment and running only through the second jib sheave would cause problems. Can you better define for me how you installed your Spinnaker halyard to the forward pin and from the pin to the head of the sail. I am very much a novice sailor so unfortunately, I need it spelled out for me. Thank you

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you want to jibe your sail in front of the forestay, as you indicated, then the spinnaker halyard block must be fixed to a point in front of the forestay.... If you examine your masthead fitting there should be an additional hole foward of the headstay fitting. To my knowledge it is exactly like the C27.

What this means is that you will not be able to use your existing internal halyard for this purpose.... so you must install an EXTERNAL halyard. This is not hard to do, simply go up the mast and fix a swivel block on the masthead in the proper location.....reave the new halyard and fix a cleat on the mast. If you want to run it back to the cockpit, thats cool, but quite frankly, you have to go forward to set up the spinnaker .... so what'a the point?

If you feel the existing hole on the masthead won't give you enough clearance, you can purchase a masthead "crane" ... a piece that fits easily over the masthead extending the spin halyard block well forward of the furler's swivel. I think www.catalinadirect.com may sell the crane....

Rigrite http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/MH_Spinnaker_bails.html calls the "spinnaker bails"... but they're the same thing.

Of course, you can avoid this ...and use the internal halyard... if you have a dousing sock... in which case you simply douse the sail, then cross it over inside the fore triangle.. and reset on the other side...

Aug 1, 2011
Joe, I think I am following you pretty well. As I understand, it would be nearly impossible to jibe the sail through the foretriangle on my boat with a roller furling unit and my jib sheets still attached to furled jib sail clue. There seems to be a lot of rigging for the Spinnaker to get caught on trying to bring it through the foretriangle. From the feedback I have received thus far, it would seem that trying to keep the Spinnaker halyard internal, regardless of mast crane or simply fixing the spinnaker halyard block to the foremost point on the masthead, can't be done.
Is my understanding correct that there is no way to avoid the spinnaker halyard laying against the forestay and luff track at the top of the mast where it reaches out to the spinnaker block? If the spinnaker block is in front of the forestay, and forestay tang, I don't see a solution to them touching. Do people experience chafe of the spinnaker halyard?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I attached a 30-13 Garhauer single block to the forward most pin on the masthead truck see photo 1 & 2. This puts the spinnaker in front of the forestay where it belongs. You can also use the spinnaker crane available from Catalina Direct. See third photo.

The spinnaker halyard will always cross over the forestay on one tack or the other and this will cause a bit of chafe. I just keep an eye on it and when it starts to show wear, I just cut it off at the chafe and redo the eye spice. It usually lasts a couple of seasons of club racing.

You can run the halyard internal if you like but you need to have it exit the mast about 4’ from the top so that it will have a fairlead to the block in fount of the forestay.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe, I think I am following you pretty well. As I understand, it would be nearly impossible to jibe the sail through the foretriangle on my boat with a roller furling unit and my jib sheets still attached to furled jib sail clue. There seems to be a lot of rigging for the Spinnaker to get caught on trying to bring it through the foretriangle. From the feedback I have received thus far, it would seem that trying to keep the Spinnaker halyard internal, regardless of mast crane or simply fixing the spinnaker halyard block to the foremost point on the masthead, can't be done.
Well, it's not that it can't be done.......it just doesn't work well. No sail expert would allow you to set up that way.... better to keep everything outside the lifelines and in front of the headstay.

I sailed with a guy on a Cat 36 who had a asymetrical sail in a dousing sock, or "chutescoop". His method, which is not uncommon for cruisers, had the sail hoisted on the unused jib halyard and rigged with a SINGLE sheet... when time to change sides, a crew goes to the mast... pulls the sock down, dousing the sail.... then the crew grabs the single sheet and pulls the package though the foretriangle to the other side, tosses the sheet back to someone in the cockpit who gets it set up again, then the foredeck crew launches the sail on the other side. It works pretty well, reasonably fast and there's no tangle of sphaghetti on the deck.... The system worked well for that couple and the wife felt safe on the foredeck handling the big sail by herself.

Is my understanding correct that there is no way to avoid the spinnaker halyard laying against the forestay and luff track at the top of the mast where it reaches out to the spinnaker block? If the spinnaker block is in front of the forestay, and forestay tang, I don't see a solution to them touching. Do people experience chafe of the spinnaker halyard?
I think you're over thinking this.... Just rig it the way Hayden Watson explained, I recommend spending the $50 on the masthead crane.... that device will keep the halyard block way clear of the headstay swivel. As he explained, you can monitor chafe at the shackle end of the halyard when you use it.... cut it off and splice a new eye when you think it's a problem. Just add a few feet to your halyard when you purhchase.

There is no other alternative on a masthead rig. On a fractional rig...... different story.... lots of them have internal spinnaker halyards that exit the mast well above the headstay.......

Aug 1, 2011
Hyden, Joe, HVBecker, All
Thank you for sharing your insight and detail. I believe I now have a good plan for how I want to rig my new Assym on my boat. Great suggestion to simply order the spinnaker halyard a couple feet longer to have excess to work with every couple seasons as chafe appears. I have had really good experiences working with Garhauer and will order my block from there. I had planned to order new masthead halyard sheaves in the next few days from them anyway. I will close this thread soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.