Asymetrical Cruising Sails for 285 First

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Verkest

Anyone out there with a 285 First add a cruising spinnaker, like the Doyle advertised herin? The idea is attractive, but I don't have a spare halyard to hoist the sock and am wondering what solutions have been successful. Also am considering some kind of flaking system for the main - again - any practical experience out there? Thanks and happy holidays from the NorthWest.

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Flaking systems and Asymettricals

Dec.23, 2000 Dear Don, I've sailed a number of boats in your size range and based on that experience I would suggest that rather than spend a lot of money on something like a Dutchman system (which, by the way, our boat came equipped with and operated splendidly until the lines started failing) a simple set of lazy jacks, which we now use with complete satisfaction, will see you through. Lazy jacks offer the advantage of being effective at minimum cost and chafe is eliminated, since the lazy jacks can be freed and brought forward to the mast to avoid wear when they are not needed while you are under sail. On cruising chutes I think you will find that the sock and sail are hoisted on the same halyard. The line to lift the sock and it's assoaciated hardware are attached to the halyard. Therefore you don't need a seperate "halyard " for the sock, it has its own lifting line built in and is integral with the system. Check with your sail maker for a better description and a possible demo. In the meantime, Merry Christmas to you and yours, Don. Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

D

Don Verkest on "La Vie Dansante"

Thank you!

Brian: Thank you for your reply to my questions regarding flaking systems and cruising spinnakers. I recently read an article in Practical Sailor that was provided by a reader in which they had rigged a version of lazy jacks by extending a line from each main sail batten to the back stay. That approach may also be worth investigation. Best to you over the holidays and new year.

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Your Welcome

Dec.24, 2000 Dear Don, I'm glad you found the post useful. As I say lazy jacks have worked just fine for us. Another alternative is the Doyle stack pack, but once again you are running into more expense for this brand name alternative compared to lazy jacks. The Practical Sailor article sounds intriguing. I'd be very interested in reading it. Do you havea way to download that and send it along, or could you summarise what they said? If that's not convenient I could try contacting them myself. I haven't checked, but they must have a web site, if you know that could you pass it along and maybe I can contact them myself to learn more. Enjoy your holidays Don. We're getting ready to have a big pot luck dinner with a bunch of other cruisers down here tomorrow, so for the rest of the day, to paraphrase an old jazz fan expression, it's going to be, "Cook baby, cook!" Fair winds, Brian Pickton, of BeneteauOwners.net Aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Sock Not Absolutely Necessary

A sock is nice but not absolutely necessary and considering the price one might consider just getting the sail now and test sail it without a sock. If the takedowns are too difficult sailing short handed then get the sock. On our boat the I = 42ft (42 ft hoist) and we fly a symetrical chute for maximum sail area. After 10 years of use there has been only one time when a sock would have been a really helpful and that was when the sail did an hour-glass around the forstay in 20 knots. I had to go up the mast in a bos'uns chair to unsnap the head of the sail and bring it down. Also, I've flown the sail singlehand a number of times (but not since it hourglassed). Takedowns are not that difficult if you have a large forward hatch and blanket the chute with the main. I have a zigzag line in the lifelines forward of the shrouds when doing sail changes to help keep the sails onboard. With regard to a mainsail flaking system, the Dutchman is really nice. Yes, it does cost but the sail is very easy to flake. I don't know the legal ins-and-outs, or if it is cheaper, but it wouldn't be that difficult to make one yourself. The earlier model Dutchman's used vinyl coated cable (small diameter lifeline) for the vertical lines and the topping lift. The vertical lines were crimped/swaged to the toping lift line. Where the lines went through the sail they used Nylon webbing with a heat-knife slit about 2 inches long vice fancy plastic dodads used on the new systems. Attachment points at the bottom of the sail were pockets made from sail cloth. The end of the vertical line went into the pocket and was held in place with a couple round 1-1/2 inch diameter stainless plates with a couple small fastners to clamp the cable to keep it from pulling out. What ever flaking system you choose, it's a good safety feature to keep the sail off the deck so someone doesn't step on it and go sliding. Oh, and the chutes, - they're fun!

R

Rae Smith

Asymetrical crusing sail

I have an asymetrical crusing sail with a sock , and it has it's own halyard, works good singlehanded, also have a doyle stack pack and I wouldn't be without it ever again, great because I mostly sail singlehanded and in wind, with full battem main, it works like a charm.

R

Rae Smith

Asymetrical crusing sail

I have an asymetrical crusing sail with a sock , and it has it's own halyard, works good singlehanded, also have a doyle stack pack and I wouldn't be without it ever again, great because I mostly sail singlehanded and in wind, with full battem main, it works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.