Assault with intent to...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Fortunately we don't have that problem in our neighborhood but if we did, we have two large dogs I need to pick up after. I could make a nice package.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The power of the "neighborhood watch" [NHW] is alive and well, at least out in the remote country side.

Background...
My company has a prime working crew. The Admiral and I have a helper, Genie, that does general work for us, example she just helped us bake 300 holiday cookies for family and business friends.
Genie was helping clean out Cabinets at a house, that my crew is remodeling. Genie sees Bob, who is working with the crew, they meet and greet [I didn't notice].

The Players...
Bob
and Genie are country neighbors who wave and smile each day as their kids are picked up by the bus.
The street is long dead end road with 9 houses and a small country store at the entrance intersection.
Bob is the son of the my crew foreman, back from tour duty with Army.

The Robbery....
Bob's
house was totally ransacked during the day on Friday.
Loss of a gun collection, easy to "fence" electronics, money, shop tools , etc.

Country Neighborhood Watch in action....
1) Neighborhood hears of the robbery on Friday at 4pm.
2) Local Store camera has a video of White Van, with one window broken, drive down the dead end street.
3) The NHW Ladies go in full "CIS" mode.

Note: This is an amazing story of their detective work that I had to diagram to understand.

4) Robber apprehended and in Jail on Monday night.:clap:
____
My part...
Monday morning I am at home preparing for the Cookie making, phone call at my home phone.
"Hello, my name is Sheriff's Investigator Bill XXXX. may I speak with Genie?"
Ans: "Genie is not here yet"
Bill explains to me the reason for his call. "The Robbery" Leaves me his call back info.

Genie arrive to make cookies. Calls Sheriff Bill, who was busy leaves her Call back Info.

Genie tells me the robbery story.:eek::doh::rolleyes:

At this point, Monday morning 9 AM, the NHW Ladies have ID'd the WhiteVan [which was recently sold] to the Robber, the Robber's actual home address, his past criminal history, and where he is trying to sell some "TV's".:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Moral to the story...
Don't mess around with the NHW Ladies!!!

Jim....

PS: Sheriff Bill and I were laughing on the phone about the swift justice of country girls.:laugh:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I remember a story of a construction worker, tired of losing his tools from the back of his truck, put some dynamite in a tool box. I don't remember the outcome of the trial but it was a permanent solution.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
In some states, this is now illegal.
I’ve seen some statutes that make mailing glitter bombs illegal, but I can’t for the life of me think of anything illegal here. He didn’t put it in the mail. He put a contraption on his porch. A trespasser took it and opened it. I’d be interested to know if someone has some info on such a statute.

Now, if one of the thief’s were to lose an eye or they open it while driving, ... then there may be some tort action. There is also usually an attractive nuisance doctrine that might come in to play if the local kids find it and play with it.

But if any police dept in the country has time to arrest this guy, and any prosecutor brings charges, ...

I too think this is brilliant.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It reminds me of the idea someone suggested of using a paint ball gun to make cars that run red lights.

The video producer lives in one of those new neighborhoods with the porch close to the street. Any package would be out in the open and easily visible from the street. Amazon looses gobs of money to stolen delivered packages yearly. One of the reasons they are promoting having sites to pick up your package when a person's home is "easy pickings".

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I’ve seen some statutes that make mailing glitter bombs illegal, but I can’t for the life of me think of anything illegal here. ... He put a contraption on his porch. A trespasser took it and opened it. I’d be interested to know if someone has some info on such a statute...
Inasmuch as it may seem like a good idea, you would be sued in court and lose. Decades ago The NRA had a column in it's magazine dealing with judicial cases involving weapons. Seems one guy had a cabin in the woods and was getting fed up with break-ins. Inside the cabin he wired a shotgun to go off when someone opens the front door. Someone did, got shot, and took the owner to court. I'm sure there is a legal term for what happened.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Inasmuch as it may seem like a good idea, you would be sued in court and lose. Decades ago The NRA had a column in it's magazine dealing with judicial cases involving weapons. Seems one guy had a cabin in the woods and was getting fed up with break-ins. Inside the cabin he wired a shotgun to go off when someone opens the front door. Someone did, got shot, and took the owner to court. I'm sure there is a legal term for what happened.
That guys problem was he used too small a shotgun.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
To be illegal, there would need to be physical injury. I have to think waste products in a pressurized container would not get you in trouble. My only fear would be their desire to repay and what they might do to your house.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
To be illegal, there would need to be physical injury. I have to think waste products in a pressurized container would not get you in trouble. My only fear would be their desire to repay and what they might do to your house.
get a little more creative Dave. look in your local police reports and pick a suitable thief address. use this address as the return address on your package. when the guy that stole your package opens it later on, he'll know where to affect his revenge. ;)

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I'm sure there is a legal term for what happened.
Katko v. Briney is one of the first and most famous cases. Law students learn about it as the “spring gun” case. It is as you described, using lethal force to defend property against trespassers: bad. Even though it was aimed in a non lethal way.

Differentiate the various castle law or stand your ground statutes which require, in varying degrees, threat to your person or someone in close proximity.

The use of glitter, fart spray, and recording devices does not appear to me to be similar to the spring gun or castle law cases.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I think the term is "wreckless endangerment" Like shooting a gun into the air on New Years Eve. "A bullet falls to earth, I know not where".

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think the term is "wreckless endangerment" Like shooting a gun into the air on New Years Eve. "A bullet falls to earth, I know not where".
That's why the front door is a bad idea to Booby trap. If they open your locked bedroom door, they're the ones committing wreckless endangerment. After all, what do you think they would do if the owner came home at that point? What ever it took to escape. Their very presence under those circumstances knowingly or predictably puts an innocent party in danger.
Anyhow, I would never do something like booby trap a door. I always work within the law. ( Just want to get that on record;)).

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I suppose the trick would be to make it much less obvious it was a booby trap. Keeping a loaded gun near a door is not an uncommon practice. No real booby trap, just leaning in an unstable direction. Total freak accident.

Something fun I've always wondered about. If a trespasser is injured on your property and they sue you, can you let them win the lawsuit with no objection. Then once they win, turn around and sue them for damages as a result of their trespassing. In other words, their trespassing resulted in damage to you, for whatever the award was, plus lawyer fees.