Are These Davit Mounts?

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
Our new boat has these posts on the transom. They are quite sturdy but their original purpose is no longer evident. My assumption is that they are for a davit to mount to, somehow. I can't recall ever seeing anything like this on other boats. Ideas?

posts.jpg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
They look more like fishing pole holders. For davits, I would expect a mounting that is much more robust.

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
They look more like fishing pole holders. For davits, I would expect a mounting that is much more robust.
I agree, they kind of do, but they are solid stainless steel, not tubes. These are definitely meant to take some pretty serious load and are backed with 1/4" SS backer plates. About the only things that are more solid are the mast and winches. My initial inclination was that they were some sort of bollard, but they have that groove that clearly has some purpose. And, the groove has crisp edges and I would expect anything meant for line-handling to have rounded edges.

Also, notice that they are mounted on wood blocks to bring the bottom flush with the toe rail. That seems intentional and suggests either line handling (via the nearby chock, perhaps). Or, it means that whatever attached to it needed to clear the toe rail.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I agree, they kind of do, but they are solid stainless steel, not tubes. These are definitely meant to take some pretty serious load and are backed with 1/4" SS backer plates. About the only things that are more solid are the mast and winches. My initial inclination was that they were some sort of bollard, but they have that groove that clearly has some purpose. And, the groove has crisp edges and I would expect anything meant for line-handling to have rounded edges.

Also, notice that they are mounted on wood blocks to bring the bottom flush with the toe rail. That seems intentional and suggests either line handling (via the nearby chock, perhaps). Or, it means that whatever attached to it needed to clear the toe rail.
I doubt they are solid. More likely they have caps welded on. This can be done very neatly.

High res close-ups will get you better answers.