Are sea water pumps the same as raw water pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
New to diesels and my raw water pump is leaking on my Westerbeke 10 two. When I try and order the gasket and impeller, I can only find sea water pump and fresh water pump. I haven't got a clue which one I need. I only know that my surveyor told me I needed to fix the leak in the raw water pump because it is leaking onto my alternator which would cost $800 to replace!!!!!!

Anyone know? Sea water pump and raw water pump the same thing? What is the diff between them and a fresh water pump????:confused:

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
look and see if you have a hose running to the seacock (where the outside water comes in to the boat and to the pump) on that pump that will be your raw water pump the other pump will be you cooling pump .....hope this helps ....

regards

woody

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
look and see if you have a hose running to the seacock (where the outside water comes in to the boat and to the pump) on that pump that will be your raw water pump the other pump will be you cooling pump .....hope this helps ....

regards

woody
Thanks for the response! The seacock (ball valve) where the outside water feeds the pump for cooling is the one I am refering to, which was referred to as the raw water pump. I am assuming the sea water pump would be the raw water pump as you would suck in salt water to cool the system and wouldn't want salt water on internal engine parts or inside the cooling system. I just don't want to assume when it comes to my check book! This help?

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
Sea water pump and raw water pump are the same thing pumping water from what every type of water the boat is sitting in, either sea (salt water) or raw "fresh" water (non salt) It pumps water thru the heat exchanger and exhaust elbow exiting the boat thru the exhaust. Sea or raw water pumps are generaly mounted OFF the engine block and run by a belt (like you alterator)
The fresh water pump pumps the water/antifreeze mix internal to the engine and heat exchanger. It does not exit the boat. Fresh water pumps are generaly bolted directly INTO the engine block, also run by a belt. It is like the water pump in you car.
The terms also refer to a fresh water cooled engine(with a heat exchanger) or a raw water cooled engine (no heat exchanger like an outboard).
Sounds like you are looking for a sea or raw (same thing) water pump part. hope this helps

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
It's a little misleading that Westerbeke calls their raw water pump a salt water pump. When the boat is sailing in fresh water the so-called salt water pump is pumping fresh water. But like others have said, Westerbekes's "salt water pump" is the one that pumps raw water through the heat exchanger.

Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Thanks a ton! Now I just hope I can find just the impeller, gasket, and lube. Seems like everyone wants to sell just the pump replacement.

Oct 22, 2006
O DAY 27 LE philadelphia pa
Bigjer40,I have a Westbeke 10 2cylinder. I believe that I will need the same parts that you have described. When and if you find the parts will you please post where you located them and the cost. Thanks

Mavourneen

Status
Not open for further replies.