Are my expectations realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

OK, I'm trying to figure out if my expectations of a 2000+ 26X are realistic. I'd like to set one up for coastal cruising. Take your basic 26X and add: - 50HP 4 cyle outbaord - full enclosure - roller furling for all sails (including main) - as well as possibly setting up a second RF unit on the bow for an asemitical cruising spinaker (maybe?) - spruce up the interior with wood trim, teak & holley sole, etc... - add tankage & system for pressure hot and cold water - Add a real head (maybe?) - Full electonics package possibly including 24 mile radar. Anyway, with all the above stuff, I'd be adding a lot of weight to the empty boat. Assuming she is loaded down for cruising, is it realistic to expect a balasted cruising speed under power of 12-13 knots? And a top end around 15 knots? Also, can anybody confirm that the fuel burn rate of most 50 HP 4 cycle outbaords is about 2 gallons per hour at cruise speed? I think that's the amount I heard about the Honda 50... P.S. I have NO interest in the 26M due to the poor interior design. it seems much more cramped and not as open/airy as the 26X... Tia! Dave Potential 26X Owner

T

Timm Miller

Sure

All of these are possible......I'm not sure about the furling main but I'm sure it's possible....only money right? Teak and Holly sole I did myself and it looks great. All of the things you have mentioned have been done to some extent......thats the beauty of the X is that there is always room for improvemnt and many people have made great mods.

T

Tim Bastian

Doable

Dave, I think your plan is ambitious but doable. I have considered most of the mods you have described for my boat and will incorporate at least some of them as time and money permit. As of right now I have installed a real head with 9 gallon holding tank. It’s a SeaLand marine traveler toilet model 711-M28 and a pressure water system with a Flojet 4406-143 type IV electric pump. The head fits in the compartment that the port-a-potty sits in with very little modification. Both work exceptionally well and were easy to install taking less than 2 hours each. My boat without ballast will do 18 mph per the GPS with me, my wife, two teenage children, 18 gallons of gas, 15 gallons of water, groceries for a week, and a dingy. It does about 14 mph loaded the same with the ballast in. I have the 50 hp high thrust Yamaha 4 stroke. At about 6 mph 2500 rpm I burn 1.53 gph. I only have 15 hours on my engine and I’m told that the fuel consumption will get better after it is broke in. With two 9 gallon tanks it gives you about 11.5 hours of fuel with no reserve. There is a picture of the head installation attached. Click on the picture link to take a look. If you are interested I‘ll be glad to send you detailed information and more pictures showing the complete job. Tim Bastian Zephyr’s Aura Hixson, TN

T

Timm Miller

Pretty cool

Nice job Tim-Bob..........how does it get emptied? That is something I would very much look into.....I may get in contact to get more info.

T

Tim Bastian

More info is available

Hey Timm, The head has a deck pump out that I installed. I got it from West Marine. I have about four or five pictures and all of the dimensions and placement for everything. The system works really well and I pump it out whenever I get fuel. I always fill her up before I put her back on the trailer and the marina doesn‘t charge for pump out service if you buy gas there. I’m thinking about adding a macerator pump and sea cock before our grand adventure. I’ll have to see what kind of services are available at our intended destinations and what kind of fees there are for the services before I make up my mind. Tim Bastian Zephyr’s Aura Hixson, TN

R

Ron Kovacs

To Timm Bastian

We meet often on the Mac26X site as well. Very interested in head installation. Why not post full details at Mac26X mods. Lots will be interested.

M

Mike

Just one thought.

There are better options for a water system than a pressurized line. A demand (pressure) system has the drawback in that in case of a hose comming loose or a joint or pipe or fitting failure, it will drain your water tanks and flood your bilge, not to mention leave you without the most important thing you need to survive at sea, fresh water. The flexing as a boat "works" can not be overlooked in designing your water system. You might want to check out using an electric pump and demand switches at the faucet or fixture. You might even be able to rig a standard faucet with swithces in the unused valve body so you could walk up and turn the handle for water, just like home. Just wouldn't have your water system under pressure all time, only when you want water, and then at a reduced pressure. Just a thought. Happy Sailing, Mike

T

Tim Bastian

Posted on http://www.macgregor26x.com/

Ron, I posted my head mod at http://www.macgregor26x.com/ about 2 months ago. For some reason they didn't post it or it got lost in cyberspace. I tried to send 5 pictures but they would only except one and the size they allowed was to small to do see the installation in detail. If you would like the pictures and detailed information on the installation I would be glad to E-Mail them to you. Tim Bastian

M

MArk

Sailing BIG

Dave, Check the related link for Fred Scott's Sailing Big on a 26X article. Also, while you're there, check out the modifications page button. There's a million of them. (slight exaggeration) Tim, Please post your pooper project on this site's photos and projects forum. That way we can all share your pictures and description of how you did it. Happy sails _/), MArk

T

Tim Bastian

Reposted head to www.macgregor26x.com

Ok guys and gals, I finely got the head mod to load on macgregor26x.com. Click on the related link to see. Tim Bastian Zephyr’s aura Hixson, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.