Arduino based WIFI bilge alarm????

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I was wondering if anyone has done any playing around with an Arduino board? I would love to help create a low cost WIFI enabled bilge Alarm.. Maybe with Text and Email options. I could probably help with the software, but I have no idea with regards to hardware. Anyone? Thoughts? Thanks... Jon

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I don't think it is low cost, but for around $300.00 you could use a wireless alarm panel that communicates using wi-fi. You would need to add a water level sensor to create the bilge alarm. A benefit would be an intrusion alarm and a free A/C power monitor.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hi Semper... I agree that the wireless panel would definitely be for more robust, however, I think that this alarm might be able to be created for under $50 all in, including possibly adding a GSM board to it for a mobile connection with a prepaid SIM card. Thank you for your input!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Wireless bilge pump monitors are already in the market for large yachts. Their cost has not already justified their use in smaller pleasure sailboats. We already have a monitor that provides us data on the frequency and duration of bilge pump cycles but has no wireless capabilities. The only advantage to go wireless would be to get a message if the pump overruns a set time parameter but in many years of boat owning the worst we have ever encountered is depleted batteries from a stuck float switch. I know the old insurance sales pitch, "all it takes is one incident" but that does not justify for me the expense of maintaining a Sim card active for just that purpose. The proper solution is maintenance and that I provide.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Hi Benny....

I just ordered the parts to see if I can build this. All in it's about $60 + the cost of a simcard.

I agree that maintenance is what keeps the boat afloat. However, I have had Rule bilge pumps stop working after being less than a month old. I think $60 is reasonable price to pay knowing that I'll get a text if the bilge pump fails.

-Jon

Apr 5, 2011
Hunter 34 Tilghman Island, Md
I think this is an excellent idea. Arduino is an easy system to use. If you need help with programming or hardware issues feel free to pm me. In have some experience using arduino to processs signals.

Looking forward to how this works out.
Brian

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
eianm... Will keep this post update as things progress.

Saillife... I'll PM you! Thanks...

-Jon

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 44 Middle River, MD
Interesting... On a similar note...Some of the battery backup suppliers for home sump pumps are now linking their products to the web and info can be obtained via an app on your smartphone. Myers is an example - http://www.femyers.com/ResidentialProduct_smart_bbu_premium.aspx
Seems not too different than a bilge pump and might be able to apply some of their battery info to your house bank. I would love to be able to get information/alarms on pumps and batteries, but don't know how much people are willing to pay for it when they are generally connected to a marina power supply, and battery issue are uncommon. If the marina wifi is dependable enough, it would be great to look it up on your phone or receive a text/email that something is outside of parameters. In the not too distant future, I would guess that most electrical appliances and systems will be "connected". Look how fast the thermostat industry got connected once Nest provided competition. I would think that once a standard is agreed upon for the gateways, you will be able to connect your boat to your house (lights, HVAC, garage door, thermostat, door locks, cameras...etc..).
Looking forward to future post!

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Some suggestions.

eianm... Will keep this post update as things progress.

Saillife... I'll PM you! Thanks...

-Jon
Use the arduino to make the pump a little more intelligent.
Install an extra water level switch so that you can add hysteresis to the pump control. This way, you can have a dead band of water, so that the pump doesn't cycle frequently,
If you're going to the trouble of putting in a gsm card, use more of the arduino inputs;
Such as, install a cheap PIR motion switch for intrusion detection.
As well, use an analog input to monitor the boat batteries.
Might also install temp sensor in freezer to make sure your food is staying cold

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
Set up a fundme or kickstart type account and I will contribute. This is all great stuff!

Ben

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
artboas....Thank you for your input!!
Ben... Thank you!
We'll keep everyone advised!

-Jon

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Cool project! Have been thinking about putting a ultrasonic (vortex shedding) flow meter in the raw water pick-up side along with tach output and use Arduino to read the sensors and drive a simple display that lets me know raw water flow is within a nominal band for engine rpm. Would calibrate it with new impeller, cover and cam. Finding a good raw water flow sensor that is affordable and "trustable" below the waterline is not an easy task.

Because I flush the raw water side of my engine by diverting the pick-up side to draw from a bucket of freshwater, I can monitor the health of the impeller, which normally pumps out a 4 gal bucket in about 70 sec at 750-800 RPMs. After about 2 hours of motoring one day, my 2GM20F suddenly would not pick up raw water at idle when flushing the engine. Turns out impeller was fine (year old), but the cover was grooved deeply enough to begin causing a problem - I replaced the cover and cam as well. I now understand why the cover gaskets are thin paper or skinny orings!
Dan

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Thanks Dan.... I think that the Arduino, Rasberry Pi etc could have a real impact on providing quality, low cost sensors for everyone. -Jon