Apres Sailing Sea Sickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

Hi all, My wife has occassionally been experiencing some post-sailing ooziness which seems to be a more extreme experience of what most folks feel and even enjoy at some level after a day of sailing. That is, she experiences the ongong feeling of rocking we often feel after coming ashore, say in bed or just seated somewhere, but she often times also gets a bit queazy. This is especially so for her if she reads, for example, after coming ashore. Any similar experiences out there? Any good solutions? Post sailing Dramamine perhaps? She much enjoys our sailing and has had no sea sickness related problems while underway. Could this be the argument for moving aboard altogether? <G> Any inputs, much appreciated... Thanks, Jim

R

R. Palaia

Try Bonine

Bonine is an over the counter sea sickness medicine. If Dramamine makes her drowsy, try Bonine. My wife takes it and no side effects.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Look at Relief Bands

Jim: I was actully going to write a little piece on these things. I used one my trip back from Hawaii but have been too busy to publish it. These are also known as a "shock watch". They come in a couple of varities. The low end ones are good for about 40-50 hours of continous use. The next one is good for about 140 hours and the third one has a replacable battery. You wear these on your wrist like a wrist watch (but they go on the underside of the wrist). They have 4 settings on the dial 1 -3 and off. The device provides a mild electrical shock that is suppose to interrupt the signal to the brain that tells you to "ralph". The difference with these devices and the drugs is that it will work after you get the feeling. If you end up barfing with a drug, you only have what is left in your blood stream. With a shock watch, they continue to work even if you loose it. I was ill on the second day out on my 14 day adventure and put one of these on. I started out with a "scop patch" but got ill anyway. I put on the "Relief Band" and wore it until the battery went dead. It seemed to work for me. Now the question is, would I have been OK without it anyway? I cannot answer that for you. To find out more about these devices try this site. (http://www.promolife.com/products/motion.htm) also search the internet for "Relief Band". They have some models at West Marine and several other internet stores. I would like to hear if it works for her!

P

Paul Bednarzyk

Land sickness

Jim, If it makes your wife feel any better, I experianced the same thing after getting back from the Bahamas. After 2 1/2 weeks on board and crossing the Gulfstream going both ways with no problems with sea sickness. My first full day on shore I really felt queasy. I suspect that it is do to the same mechanism in that there is a disparity between what your inner ear is telling your brain and what the eyes are seeing. Suspect the usual measures will work. Paul Bednarzyk S/V Knot Again

R

Rick Webb

Cherry Lifesavers

Do not know why, nor do any of the Flight Docs I've asked but they do work. They taste alot better and go with boat drinks better than the other medications.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Relief Bands, II

My sister got really landsick after we spent some time cruising the BVI's. She tried the drugs but not with any real success. I have had a number of clients swear by the relief bands, more so than any other single other cure. I have not yet tried them, but I plan to buy one of the replaceable battery types to have on my boat for whomever gets sick. If you are intrigued by that route, do visit a local supplier and try one. Some people don't like the sensation. My opinion, any sensation is better than puking. YMMV, Justin - O'day Owners' Web

L

Les Murray

I have used another type of wrist band

I got some pressure wrist bands that have little pressure points that block the nerves in your wrist, similar to the electric ones that Justin mentioned. No batteries to die on you. The only issue is you end up with little depressions on the inside of your wrists after an hour or so of use. Les Murray H20 Limerick

Status
Not open for further replies.