Anyone put a loop in their holding tank feeder line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Had a nasty mess to clean up this last weekend. We knew the tank was getting full, but went sailing anyway. 15 knots had us heeling at 20 degrees and more. Head overflowed by virtue of the holding tank contents...

Anyway - I went to the head mistress expert forum, and saw repeatedly her recommendation to put loops above the water line to prevent water (and other stuff) from seeking their natural level...

The water inlet appears to have a vented loop on my 310, BUT the outlet hose just goes gradually up to the tank. Anyone tackle this addition? Any advice?

For now, it just looks like a dirty job that someone has to tackle...

Thanks,

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Seattle/Tacoma

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I think you should give Peggie a discription of your system and your problem and rethink the vent hose.

joker valve.................
paulj :troll:

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
The new Jabsco head pump has a feature that seats the discharge piston. You dont need to worry about slow (or fast) backwash from the holding tank. Its almost cheaper to put in a new one than rebuild the old anyway.
I dont think your vented loop on the discharge is a good idea.... if it ever leaks/clogs... oh my!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
Wasn't thinking VENTED loop. Just a hose loop higher than the inlet to the tank, per some of Peggy's responses on her forum. I AM seriously thinking about replacing the head itself. I also think the wet/dry lever wasn't fully clicked to the DRY setting, and it doesn't positively CLICK into that setting anyway...

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
One of Peggy's comments was ...

that the Jabsco head with the wet/dry feature was a sliding valve as opposed to a more robust rotating valve that Raritan and others use. But for the price I just replaced my old Jabsco with a brand new one as the cost of a rebuild is about the same and just about 1/3 of the cost of a replacement Raritan model minus the bowl (e.g. you keep your old bowl and bolt it onto the Raritan). I figured that my old Jabsco lasted 7 years and it was $105.00 to get a new one at West Marine.

I would guess the locking feature is nice. We normally just leave the wet/dry valve in the dry position and use the shower to get flushing water to help keep the holding tank smelling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.