Anyone modified their Crane? Added a

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I did re-position my spinnaker halyard to come out of the top sheave and added a block to the crane to help it clear the top of the jib. It works pretty well as long as I have the halyard snug. Would be nice to have it out about another 1-2".

Also has anyone added a bowsprit kit. Lew from Deltaville was really talking up the Selden bowsprit to use with the Selden Spinnaker Furler. Really liked them both.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Done that on the 270, with the Selden ring and a homemade sprit. See listings for blog entry below, there's a bunch of pages with pictures. The anti-torsion rope is still on the floor of the office behind me as I type this, the snag is that the forestay does come out slightly above the halyard, and currently scribbled on post-it notes is a design to add a second sheave to the "slightly modified" crane/mast cap to get the halyard exit up, and out front of the forestay, so that the top-down can stay hoisted while the genny is out. The issues are the clearance, and some (as yet undecided) mechanism to prevent the halyard from swiveling. The aniti-torsion rope by itself needs some kind of preventer at the top.
What looked like something so simple has actually become the most difficult part of the whole build. But then, as is usually the case, anything worth doing, usually requires a complete dis-assembly of the whole boat. :naughty:
Cheers
Gary

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Specifically there's a post called "Sprit City" that has some good shots of the build and the installed part. There's a couple of other posts chronicling the ongoing design and construction of the related parts.