Anyone have knowledge of the Alden Zephyr?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It appears to look much like a scaled down Challenger. The site shows one for sale. Halmatic again did the hulls and possibly finished the boat as well.

I wonder how many were built? Same era of building and design, very similar lines. Looks like a glass cabin which would have minimized construction costs.

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_b ... =1925&url=

Jun 28, 2004
Alden Zephyr

It sure is a nice looking boat. I have friends who have told me they had a similar boat (i.e. a smaller Challenger) in Manchester MA about 30 years ago, but I don't believe it was called a Zephyr. I will find out.

Given how few Challengers there are, it might be good to include Caravelles and 'Zephyrs' as well in the discussion group (if they turn up). I recall seeing a caravelle for sail a year or so ago. It was around 40 or 41 feet, with a teak deck. Susan has told me she looked at a Caravelle in the late 70s when she bought Whisper, and recalls how beautiful it was.

Rick

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A good idea Rick, we all have alot in common.

Maybe some owners will stumble onto the site at some point.

There is a Caravelle here in Camden and I was lucky enough to get onboard when it was in storage. Pretty boats, alot of similarities. A main difference is the cabin is glass as well as the hull and deck. This was a big step in fiberglass boat evolution, it makes the Challenger alittle unique.

I seem to recall fewer Caravelles were built than Challengers.

The extra feet are evident above and below decks. Port shape is different. They must be a little faster as well but I can't find any handicap info on the boat.