Anyone have info on Sly Fox, who lost rudder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Haven't heard anything since Dec 04 about Jarvis and his boat Sly Fox. Anyone have any follow on information?

T

Tim Welsh

No, info on Sly Fox

But I did meet Mike Harker a couple of weeks ago at Strictly Sail in Chigago. He told us when he lost his rudder on his 460, he believes he ran over this big glob of netting and fishing tackle that was adrift in the ocean. He sailed 24,000 miles in 22 months on his 460. He was on his way to Hawaii from South America when it broke. He spent I think 12 days adrift during which he Manufactured a rudder out of a Spinnaker Pole and a door from the back cabin. That worked for a little while then the wood started coming apart. Is the door to the aft cabin made of teak plywood? Anyhow he found another piece of wood and jury rigged that until his spinnaker pole bent in half. Some people he met in South America sailed 400 miles to his aid then to loan him their spinnaker pole. The lady was 79 and the guy was 81. Mike showed us pictures of when they arrived to assist him. There were probably 15 foot waves. It just amazes me a couple that old could get out there and get after it like that. My hats off to them. There where hundreds of pictures that he showed during his presentation. If you ever get the chance to listen to him DO... Tim Welsh H34 AKA Cabo Wabo

D

Dave Winiker

Sly Fox

I received an email from him a couple of weeks ago in response to my email sent a couple of weeks prior offering help if he was bringing her to Norfolk. He said that he was planning to have Sly Fox taken to the Hunter Factory for repair since the keel had loosened due to the pounding while it was beached. Haven't heard anything since. Dave Winiker Champagne on Ice H31

Feb 19, 2004
Hunter 466 SF Bay Area
In a related note...

Anybody else get a letter from Hunter regarding rudder failures? allan

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Yes, I did. But..........

I was working near the rudder post and put my hand on the post and it moved down verticaly about an inch. As an engineer this was scarry that it had so much vertical play. Is this normal to have an inch of vertical play in the rudders post? 46

Feb 23, 2005
Hunter 430 St. Pete
Rudder concerns

Have I missed something? Was a letter sent from Hunter regarding problems with rudders, esp. on the 430 (circa 1996)?

D

Dave Winiker

Sly Fox

I was leafing through the Feb. issue of "SpinSheet" (Chesapeake Bay sailing mag) and on page 71 there were 2 photos of a sailboat aground on Pea Island (NC Outer Banks). Although no boat name was given it appears to be Sly Fox. It said that: "A crane and tractor trailer rigged for sailboat transport did their part and got the boat off the beach". I'm assuming Sly Fox has been delivered to the Hunter factory and is well on her way to being readied to continue her trip to Belize.

Status
Not open for further replies.