Anyone have a Vetus Marine Diesel in their boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Marble

Like so many before me, I'm also looking to upgrade my Hunter 27 with a new marine diesel. Vetus Marine Diesels uses a Mitsubishi 16 HP engine. They look very well made. Of course the dealer says it a better engine than a yanmar. The price I'm hearing for a new 18 twin yanmar is $5,725.00. The price I'm hearing for a new 16 twin Vetus is $4,567.00. I'm sure the 16HP will push my 27 foot boat just fine. The way I figure their all good as long as they run and new diesel engines should run for a long time. Anyone got a good reason why I should or should not keep $1,158.00 and by the vetus?

A

Andrew

Support

Support may your only reason for choosing Yanmar. If you ever run into problems or just need some advice www.yanmarhelp.com will have it. There is a great discussion board there. I don't know what is out there for Mitsubishi.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out Bukh and Beta too.

Richard: I would check out Beta Marine and Bukh engines too. Andrew makes a good point. See how many dealers you can find in your area for what ever engines you are looking at. You never know when a dealer is going to go under.

R

Royce

have one

I recently repowered with a Vetus. I purchased the engine from an individual who purchased it in 1987 for a boat project that didn't work out. The engine is a m310. It was still wrapped in the shipping plastic. I ran it in my garage and have had it in my boat now for 5 months. I live in Corpus Christi and there is not a rep here, but again there is not one here for Yanmar either. I have always had to order my parts. There are ones for both in Houston. I have ordered parts from Vetus, (all rubber parts I replaced) and received excellent help and advice from them. Mitsubishi is a world wide company and large manufacturer of diesel engines. I think Universal and Westerbeke are also using the Mitsubishi engines. Hope this helps.

J

Jon

Good engine

Put a 3 cyl Vetus (I think 20hp at the time?) in a 28 sailboat in 1997. It of course has needed some maintanance over the years. But my family still has the boat and the engine runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.