Anyone have a sailpack on a H34?

May 24, 2020
Hunter 34 Midland
Since we are in a lockdown here in Ontario and won't be allowed to access our boat until May 20th, I thought I would get started on making a sailpack. I had planned on following the Sailright design for the most part but damn, the height of the stacked main sail at the mast is massive.

Anyone have any pictures of theirs they can share? Looking for other ideas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since we are in a lockdown here in Ontario
Sorry for your luck... Avoid going outside. Reports of gendarmes in the streets asking why you are out side have reached the news...

From the images I have seen you are correct. The sailpack near the mast is very large. It stands up to capture the folded sail that sits on the boom. It will rise nearly a meter sometimes more (depending on the newness of your sail) above the boom.

Aug 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Austin, TX
I made the Sailrite sailpack for my H34. and yes, the height of at the mast is quite massive. I'm 6.5' and I can reach the top to attach the halyard to the head but for anyone closer to 6' it will be a stretch. You should be able to make it a few inches shorter though.

IMG_20200915_100450.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I made the Sailrite sailpack for my H34. and yes, the height of at the mast is quite massive. I'm 6.5' and I can reach the top to attach the halyard to the head but for anyone closer to 6' it will be a stretch. You should be able to make it a few inches shorter though.

View attachment 192882
We added a retractable step onto the mast so we could easily reach higher.

May 24, 2020
Hunter 34 Midland

View attachment 192882
That looks great! Any idea what your circumference measurement was at the mast?

I am 5'3 and already have trouble attaching the halyard. The sail on ours stacks above a sail track stop which doesn't help. May need to look at getting rid of the stop and installing a gate so the lugs go all the way down to the boom.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Our mast step - "one small mast step for man, one giant step for short people" T he picture is part of our harken upgrade to our deck organizers, traveler and main sheet.
mast step.jpg
[

May 24, 2020
Hunter 34 Midland
Our mast step - "one small mast step for man, one giant step for short people" T he picture is part of our harken upgrade to our deck organizers, traveler and main sheet. View attachment 192961[
Love it! I am going to track down a step like that. Funny how with sailing its either handy to be tiny so you can fit in all of those tight awkward spaces or a giant so you can reach stuff. no in between

Nov 13, 2020
Hunter H34 Chesapeake Bay
Here is a pic of mine. I'm 5'9"ish and it's a bit of a stretch to get the halyard off and the sail buttoned up. The saving grace is there is a vertical zipper at the mast, on the starboard side of the mast. I can open the zipper part way to tidy up the sail and zip the top closed easily.

Attachments