Anyone Grow Their Own Herbs

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Learning how to cook, and I've made a few good things. Italian cuisine and steaks inspired me to use fresh herbs, and now grow them. I know there's tons of stuff on this online, but I'm curious if any of my online sailor buddies grows their own. I have parsley and basil going now, would like to add rosemary and mint soon.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Interesting topic for this site. I've grown many veggies and herbs thru-out the years. Herbs, as you might have experienced are easy to grow. Many like to be on a window sill in direct or indirect sunlight. I'm in Fl. so our growing season is a bit different than yours. However, it shouldn't matter if grown indoors. Be careful with the rosemary as it can get out of hand fairly quickly. I planted one twig and it took over a 4x4 plot in no time.

BTW, spent many a summer in my youth, 1950s, at my G-parents beach house in Westport right on the beach a stones through from the RI line. Great times I will never forget. Unfortunately, my cousin got the property after the death of my G-mother and tore the cottage down.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Interesting topic for this site. I've grown many veggies and herbs thru-out the years. Herbs, as you might have experienced are easy to grow. Many like to be on a window sill in direct or indirect sunlight. I'm in Fl. so our growing season is a bit different than yours. However, it shouldn't matter if grown indoors. Be careful with the rosemary as it can get out of hand fairly quickly. I planted one twig and it took over a 4x4 plot in no time.

BTW, spent many a summer in my youth, 1950s, at my G-parents beach house in Westport right on the beach a stones through from the RI line. Great times I will never forget. Unfortunately, my cousin got the property after the death of my G-mother and tore the cottage down.
Oh, interesting about Westport! Property there is worth a fortune now.

On the herbs, I've learned that basil likes lots of sunlight and only damp soil, but parsley wants less sunlight but lots of water. Sound right? I'm just beginning. I have a great sunroom with South and West facing windows.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I should say I don't live in Westport, that's where my boat is moored. I live nearby on New Bedford.

May 12, 2004
Growing indoors and in smaller pots that you can easily move around is the way to go. You can experiment with the soil, sunlight, watering, etc. easily and learn as you go. Have fun with it. Bon appétit.

Oh, interesting about Westport! Property there is worth a fortune now.
Not surprised. My siblings and I contested the will to no avail. Would sure like to have a piece of that property. It was quite large for ocean front property. We could have built cottages for everyone of us on the tract.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Growing indoors and in smaller pots that you can easily move around is the way to go. You can experiment with the soil, sunlight, watering, etc. easily and learn as you go. Have fun with it. Bon appétit.

Not surprised. My siblings and I contested the will to no avail. Would sure like to have a piece of that property. It was quite large for ocean front property. We could have built cottages for everyone of us on the tract.
Wow, too bad it turned out that way. Do you ever come back up here?

May 12, 2004
I live nearby on New Bedford.
Became notorius a few years back. I recall a bar, a pool table and a criminal act that took place. That wouldn't even get a mention in a local paper today, sad to say.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Became notorius a few years back. I recall a bar, a pool table and a criminal act that took place. That wouldn't even get a mention in a local paper today, sad to say.
Yes, I've read of that case, Cheryl Araujo, in 1983. Terrible. New Bedford's on a rebound now, property values going up, and commuter rail to Boston coming late this year. I live in what I think is its nicest neighborhood, the "West End," by Buttonwood Park, but still only a mile to downtown and the waterfront - lots of restaurants, bars, theater and museum, etc. Still, as with most cities, there are some gritty sections; you have to be aware.

May 12, 2004
Do you ever come back up here?
Not too often. Relatives are mostly gone now and my only siblings are in Newton and NYC. Tried to find the place a few years back but that was before GPS and had no luck. I remember it was down a long one lane gravel road at the time. As kids we knew we were close when we turned on the road.

May 12, 2004
Still, as with most cities, there are some gritty sections; you have to be aware.
Well, with New Bedford having been a whaling town, I can only imagine it must have been a rough place.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, with New Bedford having been a whaling town, I can only imagine it must have been a rough place.
Yes, I imagine so. At one point in history it was the richest city in the world, early 19th century, due to the whale oil business - "The City That Lights The World." Now it's the busiest seafood port in North America, both in tonnage and dollars, and its mostly scallops. (It's a close competition between New Bedford and Dutch Harbor, Alaska.). Lots of the old buildings down town were once banks, and there are lots of old mansions around. The city hall, post office, and many other buildings downtown are simply magnificent.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I'd like to grow herbs on my boat, but I haven't thought of a good place to keep them. I have an old rail clamp cup holder I could put a plant in, but I worry that it wouldn't do well so exposed. I'm on lake Erie, so salt isn't a problem. Inside my small boat, space is precious, I can't think of anywhere that would get sun and not be in the way. Do tinted windows let in enough sun for plants?
At home I grow herbs all the time. The aerogarden is cool.

May 12, 2004
Now it's the busiest seafood port in North America, both in tonnage and dollars, and its mostly scallops.
Those scallop trawlers were built in Tarpon Springs, Fl. in a shipyard that shares the basin with the marina I was in for years. It was hair-raising when launched as there was very little room for error when they slid those boats off the ways. Maybe fifty feet or so. If those cables stopping the boat failed mayhem would surely have ensued.

May 12, 2004
Do tinted windows let in enough sun for plants?
Your query piqued my curiosity so I did a Google search: "tinted windows and plants". Much to my surprise, every article claimed that it might actually benefit or at least do no harm to most indoor plants. Who knew?

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I buy the plants at my Home Depot Garden Center and there is nothing like fresh herbs, but I'm certainly not a farmer as once I cut down most of the leaves the plants start to die. I would guess I would need a bunch of plants in a bed to allow for a larger regeneration than my consumption. I don't think I have space in the boat for the size of the planting bed needed.

May 12, 2004
once I cut down most of the leaves the plants start to die.
Yes. Leaves are essential for photosynthesis and transpiration. No food, no water, no plant. Just harvest a few at a time.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Yes. Leaves are essential for photosynthesis and transpiration. No food, no water, no plant. Just harvest a few at a time.
I learned today that one harvests parsley by cutting the stalks at ground level; they grow back.

• Helpful

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Update. All of the herbs I'm growing come from those little pots of fresh herbs they sell at the supermarket. Edible Garden is the brand I have. I say growing, I could be just slowing their demise. :)

I read a bit, here:
The Best Way to Transplant Supermarket “Living Herbs”

This lady seems to know what she's talking about. So, today I bought some nice ceramic pots with integral saucers, and a big bag of potting soil that has plant food in it. I'm going to pull out the plants, separate them, and replant them in the pots. I also bought some cardboard starter pots so I can try to start some new plants after rooting them in water, and also maybe even try to start some from seeds. Ocean State Job Lot has Burpee seeds at something like 40% off.

I'd like to hear what others think. Have you had success keeping herb plants you bought at the supermarket?

Thanks,

jv