Anyone following the Golden Globe RTW race?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like the boats are having trouble with various breakdowns. Lots of problems with self-steering gear. Are autopilots now more reliable than the vane-operated systems?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not think so. Certainly for their cruising plan. AutoPilots require power. What are they going to do, man power a generator? Pray that the sun shines?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The sun does shine sometimes and the wind blows enough to have them both power an autopilot. If there's no sun and no wind and therefore no power you're not moving, so don't need to steer. Not necessarily that it would be permitted in the GGR, but it seems like wind vane systems have weak points that tend to break. Autopilots can break too, but it would seem they have fewer moving parts and could now be more reliable than the wind vane setups.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have been following it every morning and it does apear that just about everyone has had wind vane issues or failures at this point. its interesting as I dont rember hearing about such issues in the past. Does anyone know what has changed in the construction of the vanes? Are they weaker?

Currently I believe there are only 2 boats remaining in the official GGR race who are not in the chichester class for making a stop which required assistance. Even the former leader Simon Curwen has had to make a stop in Chile after braking his vane on his way to the Horn. Kerstin is the only one thus far to clear the cape so well have to see what happens. There is alot of ocean before they get home.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I have been following it every morning and it does apear that just about everyone has had wind vane issues or failures at this point. its interesting as I dont rember hearing about such issues in the past. Does anyone know what has changed in the construction of the vanes? Are they weaker?
or maybe the weather this time around has been nastier, giving them more of a workout?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I probably wouldn't want to use a 1968 autopilot for such an arduous voyage.
I think the problem with the vane gears presently being used in the GGR is their design. Every vane gear being used has way too many moving parts. Quite simply, an outboard rudder and a trim tab vane gear would be my self steering system of choice. The parts under the water are reasonably small and would most likely survive any number of knockdowns. The only part of a trim tab vane gear that is perishable is the wind driver and the spares for that are simply some tubing and sailcloth. When I was on Joshua, I saw that Bernard used a trim tab vane gear. I don't remember him mentioning any vane gear failures in his books, and I don't believe we discussed it.
My trim tab vane gear worked from 6 to well above 60 knots, though at 60 I felt it was my job to be at the helm to assist it once the vane gear was below the wave tops, and it hadn't the wind to steer.
My wife follows the GGR most religiously, and we discuss it quite a bit. It seems (not supported by any statistics) that the majority of the knock downs and pitch poles happen when the sailors are below, perhaps sleeping. That would make sense, as my heavy weather go-to is to be on the helm sailing the boat through the storm. Obviously, that wouldn't be possible for a singlehander.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Its a fun and interesting race for sure. The sailors and skills used are a rare breed. I follow the Ocean race as well and when they catch the GGR racers its always interesting how technology changes.

Weather may be an issue as well but I wonder if the many breakdowns and sinking of 1 boat have more to do with the age of the crafts. Certainly nothing lasts for ever and while boats can be outfitted the hull as I understand it is still 60 years old or so.

As for the vanes I had one on a larger motor sailor and it was super simple. just a rudder, counterweight and couple gears. I certainly never had it in the southern ocean or anything but it also never failed me when single handed and you could make a vane out of almost anything (even a cookie sheet) if needed.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@jdrutten agreed but man I gotta give it to Simon Curwen. He definitely deserves credit for stopping to fix his wind vane, being delayed by over a week and then still passing everyone on his way back up the Atlantic! Finished just a few hours ago ahead of Kirsten. Also don’t forget she has a 4 hour or so I believe time credit for the rescue on the cape of good hope.

technically only Abhilash Tommy had no sailing assistance and no stops in the entire race as far as the leaders are concerned. Still an amazing feat by all.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
An amazing race. A terrific finish.
A record of a Rescue at sea... Information that may help others who consider an open water adventure. Good reason to sail in proximity of other boats.

In the words of Tapio:
The accident was a devastating surprise, I had 100% confidence in Asteria being fit for the fight. She performed beautifully and I was very happy and proud of her. After a total rebuild four years ago for the 2018 GGR and being fitted out and inspected again this year, being flooded up to deck level in five minutes and sinking twenty minutes later in beautiful summer conditions is beyond my comprehension.