any idea what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njl

May 30, 2011
Westsail 32 NYC
I found a bunch of metal disks in the lazarette of my Westsail32. They look like they could be parts to an engine possibly or related to a drive shaft. (I have a Volvo Penta MD2B.)

The guy I bought the boat from doesn't know what they are, so it must be something the previous owner hung onto for some reason. Any ideas what they might be?

Attachments

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
I don't know but the minute you throw them away, you will discover what they were and where they would have gone...happens to me all the time :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I believe they are parts of a flexible element coupling .. the flex part appears to be missing.. The PO may have failed the flex part and put in a temporary standard coupling?? Just a guess

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I don't know what they are intended to be used for, but I found a bunch of them at Minney's Yacht Surplus and I used them to hold the leg to my perch seats in place.

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Perhaps rudder stock parts? The center hole looks kinda big for a prop shaft.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If the PO don't know what they are and never needed them and you don't seem to need them either throw the darn things away. Clutter in a boat is much more annoying than at a home.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
they look like ss flanges to weld on pipe at this piont they are just fancy weights for what ever you may want to tie them to.....

regards

woody

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
they look like ss flanges to weld on pipe at this piont they are just fancy weights for what ever you may want to tie them to.....

regards

woody
bingo ! you hit the nail on the head! they are weld on pipe flange, the po probably saved them to do some sort of conversion, perhaps a fresh water cooler onthe engine, or some other sort of plumbing, water cooled air exchanger , the possibility are limitless!

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
Exhaust flange? Is it 3 to 4 inches in diameter and is it pipe threaded. If so could be exhaust flange. Otherwise throw it in the garage for spare parts

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Y'all missed some other metal disks. I see lots of washers, too.

Do I get extra credit?

Kermit

p.s. I also see nuts and bolts. But they aren't disks.
k

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Check the distances between the four holes in the plate against the holes in the gearbox/propshaft coupling. They may be a tool or set of tools to assist in removing the prop shaft coupling by inserting a spacer between the loose flange and the coupling and then tightening the bolts.
Just a thought.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I don't know what they are intended to be used for, but I found a bunch of them at Minney's Yacht Surplus and I used them to hold the leg to my perch seats in place.
Sell them to Minney's and buy something you can use....

Status
Not open for further replies.