any experience with autopilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Utz

I want to add an autopilot to my Seidelmann 37, as a safety feature, since I'm typically out there with 3 small active kids. Has anyone added a belowdeck autopilot? cockpit autopilot? thanks

C

Captwalterk

Auto Pilot...

I have been using an Autohelm 4000 on my S-37 for about 10 years without problem. I won't say I have never been in sea states that the 4000 can't handle, but they have been few and far between. In my view, when my 'Otto' can't handle the conditions, I have no business leaving the controls to anyone but a qualified helmsman. Walt K

S

Stephen Parfet

Auto-Pilot ST-4000

The autohelm on my 30T is very handy and it has successfully handled some heavy seas. Follow the installation instructions carefully and understand that it can draw down a battery faster than your other instruments. Install the control panel in a location where you can easily reach it under all conditions. Now that I have owned one I have become very spoiled.

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
ST4000

I have an autohelm ST4000+ on the Windward that is mounted at the helm and has a handheld remote that could be wired for below deck use. I love it. The ability to set a course and move about is great. I would recommend someone with experience install it to interface with your GPS or other equipment and to avoid various problems unless you know electronics well.

Dec 9, 2005
Kirie Elite 37 Pascagoula, Mississippi
My 37' has.....

a Robertson hydraulic autohelm that I've come to love. My previous sailboat, an Irwin 31, had an ST4000 which served me well for several years. The 4000 is a wheel mounted unit with a separate control panel; the hydraulics of the Robertson are all mounted below deck, as is the electronic brain. Mounted on the exterior anywhere you chose, is the electronic control which is very user friendly. The performance difference is that the Robertson seems to work more smoothly than the 4000, which had a tendency to jerk as it steered. Of course there is a huge unit price difference and required installation skill level for the Robertson is much more higher. If price is the question, you'll find the 4000 much more affordable than the Robertson hydraulic system. Good luck

Apr 26, 2006
- - Lagoon City, Ontario
Auto Eddy

We sailed Ladysimcoe to Trinidad and our friend did most of the steering he is called Auto Eddy and is a ST4000 wheel mounted unit. Works great but needs cleaning regularly and is fed with amps not beer or rum.

Status
Not open for further replies.