Any current South SF bay CAT 22 Sailors? Looking for tips

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
So my primary dilemma is I'm always taking wife/child out with me on the boat while trying to get better at sailing. Unfortunately with the wind/wave conditions found here even in the South Bay at times it is too much for them and Im afraid I might ruin the boating experience for them for good if I don't get better at sailing and maximize the efficiency of our small boat. First world problems I know :D. Ive gone out a few times solo lately but I feel better when I have an extra hand on the boat especially with the narrow channels and boat traffic coming in and out of 2 adjacent harbors. Any Cat 22 sailors in the South Bay? Id love to partner up and do some sailing or just get some tips on how you keep your boat comfortable in these waters. Yesterday I saw three small boats come in as a group (a cat 22, a WW potter 15, and another boat I didn't recognize) but I think those guys came from north bay down. I should have gone over and talked with them, but they were a few docks over. Basically every boat in my harbor is much larger/heavier.

I've been sailing more off than on for about 7 years (self taught, & read some books) but still consider myself an newb and this is the smallest boat I have had. Did some racing in a few beer cans as a lot of sailors said that was a great way to learn but I didn't feel that I learned anything more than that there are people who are way better than me at sailing lol.

I do have an autopilot that for some reason won't talk to my gps over NMEA 0183 so it only functions on a hold course setting for now, roller furler with 135, and most lines running aft but its still nice having another person nearby to help with stuff. Open to suggestions on things, if I can't enjoy it with the family it will be a serious bummer. That's why I stopped riding my motorcycle, it was a solo activity. Thanks! :dancing:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I do have an autopilot that for some reason won't talk to my gps over NMEA 0183 so it only functions on a hold course setting for now, roller furler with 135, and most lines running aft but its still nice having another person nearby to help with stuff. Open to suggestions on things, if I can't enjoy it with the family it will be a serious bummer.
I started sailing The Bay in 1983 on our 1981 C22. Your headsail is way too big. I used a non-furler 110. I learned to sail in The Bay high winds. Sometimes I just used one sail.
You don't need to interface your AP with GPS forget it, not worth it.
You'd be best to actually learn to solo sail. Unless your family actually wants to "sail" the boat, you're single handing anyway.
If your winches aren't self tailing, get Winchers for them.

You CAN do this. :):):)

We ended up getting a C25 in 1987 and sailed that all over and down to Monterey even ! had that boat til we bought this one in 1998, sailed the C34 up here to BC in 2016.

You CAN do this. :):):)

Go out early before the heavy pm winds, then head back, having had a successful short day, build confidence. Work your way up bit by bit. Head upwind early so your return trip is downwind. Tips & tricks.

Aug 15, 2022
Thanks for the positive encouragement Stu. You would have been a great resource to have here to learn this area from. I agree about the 135 being big, The previous owner was a lake sailor (clear lake) and had just bought it for the boat before he sold it to me. Supposedly it has some sort of foam to keep the sail shape decent even when furled in some but its probably more of a marketing gimmick than practical, no idea. An example from yesterday: was blowing 15 steady with gusts to 20 as I came into the main channel.(my windy app lied and said it was supposed to be 6-7knots). So I lowered the main to put my first reef in and as I was bringing back up the main my winch handle exploded. With all the traffic coming in and out and me up on the deck messing around with the main trying to get it usable I was glad to have my wife onboard to at least help out and keep us from running aground. Ive been fine out there by myself when things don't go wrong but its stressful when they do.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
(my windy app lied and said it was supposed to be 6-7knots)
I'd work on "getting your head out of the boat." Turn your electronics, except for your AP, off. I learned to sail before they even thought about electronic anythings. Look at the water: little whitecaps? 12-15 knots, no BS apps to learn that; after 1230 on The Bay? 12 to 15 gusting to 20 from mid-April to mid-September. Buy and memorize Kimball Livingston's Sailing The Bay - great book and reference and a fun read, too. :)

Reef BEFORE you go out: it's easier to shake out than put it in. Consider leaving it in all the time, because your jib is the Driver on your boat.

Until you buy a proper 110 jib mark your 135 to 100 or 90 and see how that feels; don't unfurl it completely at all unless you're coming downwind. The foam luff is a good idea - do some research on sail makers' websites about it, it does work not a gimmick.

Your boat will sail faster be more comfortable not scary at all WITH LESS SAIL UP when it is windy. Where you sail it is always windy from 1230 to 1630; always, forget the app. :banghead::yikes::biggrin: Reefed main, 110 or less jib, learn to sail on jib alone upwind, too it works great; avoid using the main going downwind - I used to sail all the way back down the Estuary on jib alone, I'd heave to and take the main down after the bridge, nice comfortable rides home to Alameda and Grand Marinas.

We'd trailer her up to Clear Lake for summers, in the marina during the week like a BIG boat :waycool: and hop on on Saturday anchor out and sail both days; lovely memories. Clear Lake eventually lost to the algae. :poop: Nice sailing though - did two Konocti Cups.

Have fun thx for the kind words, much appreciated.

• Helpful
Aug 15, 2022
Good stuff I will work on implementing. I use the app when I’m still at home 45 minutes from the marina to see what the weather is supposed to be for the day. To determine if I even want to go up there. When I saw it said 6-7 knots I thought it would be a great day to take the family. Didn’t work out lol

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am assuming your home waters are at redwood city harbour.
I too started there in calm waters taking sailing lessons from the local sailing school ASA basic keel and coastal cruising on 25 foot sailboats. I then baugt 1984 H25.5 shoal keel. With 135% jib I found I was overpowered and impossible to even reach Bay Bridge and back in one day. Others told me that 25 foot was too small for the bay.
After 4 years I decided to take bareboat class in Berkeley. I wanted to learn to sail in the windy slot as all others were doing skilfully. I discovered that I had not been taught how to sail and larger saiboat was needed. Then I bought a Catalina 36. I am now confident in sailing and have made multiple trips to Monterey.
So I have been in your shoes and experienced the same as you. My advice would be to take sailing lessons and move up to a larger saiboat of at least 32 feet.
Take lessons where the action is ; San Francisco. You will be more confident and have happy family.
Contact me if I can help you, my home port is at Coyote Point Marina.

Aug 15, 2022
I am assuming your home waters are at redwood city harbour.
I too started there in calm waters taking sailing lessons from the local sailing school ASA basic keel and coastal cruising on 25 foot sailboats. I then baugt 1984 H25.5 shoal keel. With 135% jib I found I was overpowered and impossible to even reach Bay Bridge and back in one day. Others told me that 25 foot was too small for the bay.
After 4 years I decided to take bareboat class in Berkeley. I wanted to learn to sail in the windy slot as all others were doing skilfully. I discovered that I had not been taught how to sail and larger saiboat was needed. Then I bought a Catalina 36. I am now confident in sailing and have made multiple trips to Monterey.
So I have been in your shoes and experienced the same as you. My advice would be to take sailing lessons and move up to a larger saiboat of at least 32 feet.
Take lessons where the action is ; San Francisco. You will be more confident and have happy family.
Contact me if I can help you, my home port is at Coyote Point Marina.
Hi joewhite thank you for the response. I am in Westpoint harbor just up the street from Redwood City harbor. I have sailed into coyote point a few times and walked up to the golf course for some food. Im not sure if you heard but there is a restaurant opening here in Westpoint in a month or so that you can pull your boat up to if I heard correctly. Its nice having destination spots. I would like to get a larger boat for these waters but I do love my 22 and I have it mostly restored at this point. Even if I get a larger boat down the road I will still keep it and put it on the trailer next to my house for trips to other bodies of water. Im gonna try to get out earlier like stu suggested before the wind picks up too much and get some practice in. Catalina 36 is a nice boat!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I would like to get a larger boat for these waters but I do love my 22 and I have it mostly restored at this point.
Keep in mind that a 16ft wayfarer dinghy can and has crossed the Atlantic.

The 22 is fine as long as you don't overpower the boat with too much sail.

Better to learn to sail well with the smaller boat anyhow. Makes you a better sailor.

My c22 had dual mainsail reef points and a 100 headsail.

Any chance you can find out where those smaller boat sailors were from ?

Catalina 22 national association has a fleet in San Francisco and another for south sf bay. here's a link to contact the California regional commodore. Ron should be able to get you in touch with one of those fleets.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022
Keep in mind that a 16ft wayfarer dinghy can and has crossed the Atlantic.

The 22 is fine as long as you don't overpower the boat with too much sail.

Better to learn to sail well with the smaller boat anyhow. Makes you a better sailor.

My c22 had dual mainsail reef points and a 100 headsail.

Any chance you can find out where those smaller boat sailors were from ?

Catalina 22 national association has a fleet in San Francisco and another for south sf bay. here's a link to contact the California regional commodore. Ron should be able to get you in touch with one of those fleets.

I agree with you completely. I was hoping to get good at sailing with my boat as I love this little boat, it has come a long way. Thanks for the association link, if I can link up with some small boat sailors here it would be great. I think my 135 has a couple reef markers, ill have to look more closely at it.