Any C275 Owners moving up from a Capri 22?

Sep 22, 2023
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Perth Amboy
Hello C275 owners.

I'm a long time lurker finally caught in trying to decide whether my next boat should be a 2006 Capri 22 or 2015 Catalina 275.

I'm coming up from an O'Day Daysailer which I keep on a slip on salt water and looking for my first keelboat. We use it mostly for daysailing. I'm single handing most of the time plus the occasional afternoon with crew in the form or family and friends.

I'm in discussion with owners of good examples of both boats and while the Cp22 feels like a natural progression, my ultimate goal is to get into a weekender / daysailer around 30ft in size. The C275's more functional cockpit, amenities down below, and ability to fly an asym make it really attractive, but I wonder if I'll regret taking such a large leap at once. I'm less concerned about the hull length but not excited about having to learn and maintain more systems like the inboard deisel, head, etc.

Purchase cost is obviously another consideration with the C275 cost over 3x more but I'm less worried about in the long run since it's where I wanted to end up anyways. Although such a large difference does make the Capri feel like a tremendous value.

Curious to get thoughts from sailors who may have owned both. What do you love best about the C275 over the Cp22? What has changed the most for you since moving up. Is there anything that you miss about the Capri?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 11, 2014
I had a 2007 Capri 22 before my 2017 Cat275. The Capri was a great lake boat. when I moved to the coast I moved it here. unfortunately a hurricane took it out 6 weeks later so i found the 275. ive been a single handed sailor all my life having owned a Cat 27, a cat 30, a cat 22 and the Capri before the 275. I had the Capri set up with a bow sprint and racing sails. the 275 is more appropriate for my current environment. let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sep 22, 2023
I'm sorry to hear that's how you lost your Capri. I think my biggest question would be how manageable you found the sailplan of the 275 to be compared to the smaller 22. Did you find yourself reefing sooner on the 275 when single handing?

Also since you've ownership experience with both, how did you like having the outboard and smaller cabin on the Cp22 vs the other boats you've owned?

I'll be sailing in Raritan Bay which has relatively light air, not that different from Long Island Sound I would guess.

Mar 11, 2014
Raritan Bay seems to be big water relatitive to Lake sailing as I used my Capri so some days it may be light but others it's likely choppy with onshore breeze. the few times I took the Capri out in Charleston Harbor I found it fine on light days but not suitable when the chop came up and the wind built

The other question really is what keel do you have on either. My Capri had a wing and the 275 the fin. I found the capri to be very tender and would reef over 10, even after I upgraded the rudder to a 4 foot pop up rudder craft. at least that allowed me to carry full sail up to 12-14... I'd never get another wing

Both boats are designed to be single handed, but they sail best when you have 700 lbs on the rail... they should both be kept under 15 degrees of heel.

Bottom line is what are you goals for this boat? the Capri makes the 275 look spacious... both have proportionally large cockpits. but with the added water line of the 275 I've had 8 onboard with no problem. I've slept on both but the 275 is hands down more conformable. And my girls are happy rhe 275 has an enclosed head...

as to the engine, I hate them all. but in Chop the inboard deisal can't be beat. plus you don't have all rhat weight hanging off the transom... find a mechanic and do regular maintenance... the out board requires that as well

So I really think the Hurricane did me a favor, one I don't want repeated, as it forced me to get a more suitable boat for my current environment.

As I mentioned the 275 is very single hand able. even flying the chute off the furler...

Now if your looking for a boat that is also an RV then go get a 30.. I single handed that as well, when I lived in Honolulu, but it liked if it had its rail in the water. just don't head into a big sea it would stop with all that beam

As I mentioned it's all personal preference... if your looking to accumulate a bunch of awards get something other than a Catalina... For instance a 275 weighs more than 2000 lbs over a J9 and J boats copied Jerry Douglas's 275 design brief. if you want a boat that is a conformable cruiser that with its PHRF rating can place in the right conditions then stick with a Catalina ... I'm very happy with the 275 and take it in the harbor as well...
let me know if you have any other questions

Sep 22, 2023
Good point about the chop and swells in the bay. My O'Day is ~600lbs all in with a drop down centerboard so sailing out in bigger water can feel a bit too "sporty" for friends and family.

All said and done, I think I'm leaning towards the Capri.

The one I'm looking at is a Fin Keel / Tall Rig (Hull #1139) and I might look into a 2nd reef for the main given your feedback. The current owner also installed a Trogear Carbon Fiber folding bowsprit and is including a furling asym and drifter sail which should be lots of fun. I might add a Code 0 as well.

Usage would be 95% weekend daysailing / local cruising. We might overnight 1-2x a season but reality is that kids are just too busy with sports and other stuff to commit to more. We do camp as a family quite a bit and so not worried about spartan accommodations below. Racing isn't really on my mind right now so PHRFs etc don't matter too much.

I think in the end I also can't ignore the $45k price difference between the two plus higher upkeep costs of the larger boat. I'm getting a lot with this particular Capri and I think it will be good to keep learning on a simpler and smaller boat, something I would feel less bad about making mistakes on.

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I have had my Capri 22 (Hull number 1330, Wing Keel, Standard Rig, 150 Genoa) for a year. I moved up from a Rhodes 19 swing keel. I wanted something a little more safe as I felt the Rhodes to be on the verge of capsize in heavy air while single handing. Also I have two young kids and my wife I take out and wanted something a tad more comfortable and a cabin for them to find shelter in if the weather turned bad. I am extremely satisfied with this boat! I have used it much more then I expected to this summer. I put a MSD Porta Poti in the Cabin for my 4 year old daughter to use which has proven itself priceless. I stash food/some toys and books down below and have been able to sail for hours with just the kids and I (They are 2 and 4 years old). Been able to do a decent amount of Thursday night sailing also. The boat has proven itself extremely seaworthy. I have had it out in some heavy breeze and decent sized waves, she held up great. Proper sail trim and some heavy rail meat and she sails along nicely. I have taken her out by myself a few times in 15+ breeze and it was a little much for me to handle on my own. But I am still getting used to the boat. Did I mention It sails beautifully? I used to sail religiously every Thursday night on a Catalina 42 for many years. This boat behaves much different needless to say but I find it really fun and I find myself paying more attention to sail trim/boat maneuvering on this boat. And even though I have been sailing for almost 30 years I am almost re-learning a lot on this boat. Someday I am sure we will upgrade to a bigger boat as the wife and I will want to cruise with the kids. Its going to be hard for the to give it up. . .

Jul 18, 2020
Catalina 275 11 Westbrook, CT
Just up graded my wife and I are older wanted simple to sail boat I wanted furling asym shoot.
My Capri (for sale) is standard rig with wing keel when my daughters were young was great for trips on CT river can anchor in 3 ft of water to head to beach. Great cockpit recently added cushions best investment I have made. roller furling jib really simplifies as my wife used to run the foredeck. We have sailed in 20 knots reefed main +/- jib need to hike out. Waves and chop are the issue at just under 3000# LI Sound chop really affects performance. You will get wet! We did overnights (with out young girls) but at a dock pretty cramped inside. Motors quite well with my 5 hp Honda

Limited sailing on my 275 which I got from Canada. Cock pit and aft layout are superb, great space inside accommodates better comfort for overnight and space to get out of elements/sun on longer sails. Love the inboard but dealing with battery issues now. Large main so I am looking into lazy jacks or Dutchman system for when it is just my wife and I. Have yet to get out in the wind and waves.

VJW

Jul 18, 2020
Catalina 275 11 Westbrook, CT
great additions to the Capri that is worth alot I had considered going from symmetrical to asymmetrical shut but decided to get a little bigger boat. If I had the choice and knew more in "93 I think I would have gone with fin keel

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
If the 275 is your aspiration you should just go for it! The systems will be a minor hurdle when you look back and handling that size of boat is a matter of doing and learning. The fact that you are asking for advice means you will be fine on the learning.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
As a Lake Michigan sailor, I've owned a Capri 22 (tall rig/wing keel) for about 14 years and upgraded to the C275 (wing keel) in 2014 and have no regrets. But be warned the Capri 22 (fin keel) is a little faster. On the other hand, with C275's furling asymm, I use it all of the time and that really helps off the wind. Two days ago, relocating for winter and running with the wind (20-25 knots, 4' waves), I was under full main and asymm. Probably at the top end of canvas for those conditions, but I did squeak out an 11.5 knot surf, which is the fastest I've recorded on my C275.

I bought the C275 for the large cockpit, head and diesel engine. The open stern is great for anchoring and swimming. And I love the reliability of a diesel over an outboard. My standard procedure for leaving the dock is to take off the mooring lines, push the stern out, jump on the transom and start the diesel. My C275 winters in a heated facility so I do not have to worry about winterizing it. On the engine, I spend about 1.5 hours a year in maintenance (oil change, check fuel separator). This winter, I'll change the oil and seals on the saildrive. I also clean up the anodes. If you pm me, I'll send you a checklist I use in the spring and fall.

I single hand quite a bit and do just fine. The self-tacking jib makes life easy, even when out with the wife and/or guests. If you truly believe you are going to end up with a C275, you'll probably wish you had done it sooner as compared to having a Capri 22 as an intermediate boat. I compare the C275 as a Capri 22 on steroids. But if you have doubts, the Capri 22 is a simpler boat. If you sail in winds 24+, I would suggest adding a second reef to the C275. I typically reef the main at 18 knots, but it depends if I'm going upwind or downwind.

I'm currently at a cross-road right now. I'm actually considering selling my C275 to swap to a 33' boat (36.4' w/ sprint). Financially, it is a very big step so it is not a done deal. I have a 37' slip and haven't jumped to a bigger boat, because nothing has a cockpit like the C275. They're all about cabin space, which I do not want on a daysailor.

PS. Sorry about being MIA, I no longer get any notifications when there are posts.

Mar 11, 2014
As a Lake Michigan sailor, I've owned a Capri 22 (tall rig/wing keel) for about 14 years and upgraded to the C275 (wing keel) in 2014 and have no regrets. But be warned the Capri 22 (fin keel) is a little faster. On the other hand, with C275's furling asymm, I use it all of the time and that really helps off the wind. Two days ago, relocating for winter and running with the wind (20-25 knots, 4' waves), I was under full main and asymm. Probably at the top end of canvas for those conditions, but I did squeak out an 11.5 knot surf, which is the fastest I've recorded on my C275.

I bought the C275 for the large cockpit, head and diesel engine. The open stern is great for anchoring and swimming. And I love the reliability of a diesel over an outboard. My standard procedure for leaving the dock is to take off the mooring lines, push the stern out, jump on the transom and start the diesel. My C275 winters in a heated facility so I do not have to worry about winterizing it. On the engine, I spend about 1.5 hours a year in maintenance (oil change, check fuel separator). This winter, I'll change the oil and seals on the saildrive. I also clean up the anodes. If you pm me, I'll send you a checklist I use in the spring and fall.

I single hand quite a bit and do just fine. The self-tacking jib makes life easy, even when out with the wife and/or guests. If you truly believe you are going to end up with a C275, you'll probably wish you had done it sooner as compared to having a Capri 22 as an intermediate boat. I compare the C275 as a Capri 22 on steroids. But if you have doubts, the Capri 22 is a simpler boat. If you sail in winds 24+, I would suggest adding a second reef to the C275. I typically reef the main at 18 knots, but it depends if I'm going upwind or downwind.

I'm currently at a cross-road right now. I'm actually considering selling my C275 to swap to a 33' boat (36.4' w/ sprint). Financially, it is a very big step so it is not a done deal. I have a 37' slip and haven't jumped to a bigger boat, because nothing has a cockpit like the C275. They're all about cabin space, which I do not want on a daysailor.

PS. Sorry about being MIA, I no longer get any notifications when there are posts.
didn't know you moved from a Capri to the 275 like me... going to a 33 would be great, but as you well know expenses go up geometrically. ...
BTW, I think there was some kind of upgrade to this site that wiped out out notification settings, as they had stopped for me as well until I reset them to on...

Jun 6, 2016
Yeah, the expenses would be going up somewhere between geometrically and exponentially. But I think it would be a fun boat to sail if I end up with it and it's got a larger open stern cockpit.

And thanks for heads up on the upgrade. I just "unwatch"ed and "watch"ed the forum and about 2/3 of the threads. Let's hope I get notifications. But I did get today's, so that is a good start!

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg

A J/99 has that cockpit and is exactly the size you want.

Jun 6, 2016
The 6.5' draft eliminates that boat. It was reported yesterday, the harbor entrance was carrying 4.5' in the center of the channel. Add waves and things could go bad, which happened a few years ago to a 4.5' draft sailboat. Plus, looking for longer benches for guests. Did consider the J/95 at one time though.