any alternative to catalina direct window seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2006
- - Eagle Creek
Looks like my forward port side window (port) is leaking. All the seals are in really bad shape and I'm surprised all of them don't leak. Is there any alternatives to the $80 Catalina Direct wants for their window reseal kit? Thanks, Jay

W

Waffle

No

not that I know of! It is for a boat isn't it. You kown they will not rust and catch on fire!

May 27, 2006
Catalina 22 Ypsilanti, MI
those are a pain; might work well;

catalina direct's kit has what you need, but they don't give you specific info on all crucial quaintities/measurements-- SO call, complain, ask why they don't give it up. Saturate the new window seals with the silicon sealant -enough to smash out onto the outside wall at the frame.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
yes..

I found the U-shaped glazing at a local Ace Hardware store, I was also able to order the flat channel from them... the clerk told me I would find it in stock at any auto glass supplier also. The glazing goes around the edge of the glass, the channel fits in the gap between the inner frame and the glass to compensate for the width of the cabin wall. The kit offered by Cat Direct contains common glazier supplies used in the industry. Check your yellow pages or drop by your local auto glass shop and tell them what you need.

Jul 26, 2006
- - Eagle Creek
been there done that?

Joe, Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I assumed it was a one piece rubber extrution. It's two pieces? Im stuck with a short refit season before the boat has to be in the water or I lose my slip at the club. So if I take out a port and can't find the stuff I need, and have to order from catdirect, I'm screwed. And it has to be the left side forward port. What else can let enough water in to soak the foam seat cushion? Not the chain plates. The rubber has shrunk up in the corners of the ports real bad. I guess I have to be brave and remove the window and see what I can find. Thanks, Jay

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
try this

I think you will find it a bit cheaper, you can sell the rest

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Jay....

it is very easy to remove the windows if they're like my C27. If you don't have someone to help, lightly tape the outside frame to the walls of the cabin to keep them from falling overboard while you're inside removing the screws. The leak will either be between frame and cabin or glass and frame. Between frame and cabin.... lay a bead of silicone between the two and you're good. If the leak's between glass and frame then the glazing needs replacing. Trust me when I tell you that it is very inexpensive if purchased from a non-marine supplier. The use it in cars.. so it's UV protected. The flat or H shaped channel comes in different widths and it's purpose is to wedge the glass against the outside frame. The frame is split so you can fit the glass and glazing in easily and the channel lays in after you've mounted the glass. On my boat one side of the channel was sundamaged while the other looked brand new... go figure. Anyway, I determined that the leak was between the outside frame and cabin side so I only needed to re caulk with the silicone sealant.... which I purchased at Home Depot for 1/3 the price West marine charges for the same thing..... So my suggestion is to remove the port and take a good look at everything before you spend ANY money.

D

don

window leak fix

jay i had leak problems with my windows too, i found that the windows are held in with screws that are in the cabin. the caulking that the used was the same stuff that rv used for there windows, (rope caulk) no wonder it leaked! I re bedded them in sikaflex one thing that i did was to fill in the space between the outer and inner hull side with sikaflex then bedded the window with sikaflex, you will find that catalina cut the opening for the window any witch way so they may be hard to get out. you should be able to do this repair dock side in a afternoon hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.