Antifouling Paint 356

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miguel

I'm taking the boat out of the water next saturday for bottom painting, I would like to hear any sugestions on how should the hauling be done. Empty tanks? wires to be loosened, any bad experiences. It was painted with petit trinidad sr 1677 hard epoxy with irgarol this time I'll be petit trinidad anti fouling 1275 modified epoxy (the closest I could get here). I think they are compatible... Any special care to be taken? As you can see this is my first time out of the water in Dominican Rep. Thanks Miguel

J

John Burns

Hauling

Hello Miguel; I am jealous that you are hauling for bottom painting. Next week I will be hauling for the season. Last year when I hauled, the yard had no problem at all. Even if you yard puts the canvas straps forward of the mark on the hull (as they did on my boat), and if you forget to remove the speed transducer (I did), it is protected by the guards on each each side. This year I will however remove the speed transducer, then just give it to the yard. The boat seems to lift without any problems. Since I store my boat with the mast up, I take no other precautions with the rigging before lifting. Lift it as you sail it! As for bottom paint I do not know about that brand. Good luck, remember when you are sailing next month I will be sitting home waiting for Spring!

A

Alan

Miguel

I would definitely check with Petit for overpainting one paint with another especially epoxy-based paint. You may have to remove the old paint before painting but I would ask Petit first and not the yard.

P

Pete Loewenstein

Hauling Precaution

My 356 manual specifies that a 4"x4" block of wood should be inserted between the hull and the hauling straps, just below the rubrail. This is apparently to avoid damage to the rubrail or the deck/hull joint during haul-out. Anybody else out there have any advice/experience for this procedure?

T

Toni

Tried it

Pete, We also read that advice about the blocks, and tried it the first time we put the boat in the water. The blocks seemed to do nothing that was useful or protective. So we skipped the blocks when we hauled that first fall (last year). When our 356 was positioned properly in the slings, the slings did not touch the rubrail. So we no longer use the blocks.

C

Chuck Wayne

hauling a 356

Ditto for us-our travelift is wide enough that the slings don't touch the rail, so we've never bothered with the blocks-no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.