Another "wow"

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Gave me a headache just watching. I realize I am not the target audience but, seriously?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I want her to show me 12,489,326,749 x 937,562,482............ now how big a box do I have to draw? and for some reason there was a strong scent of coffee during that video.......

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In old math we learned a simple method to get the result and have time for the rest of our interests.
In the new math we learn how to break the problem down to binary digits then rebuild it to find an answer.

Thinking in binary is great for a computer and to understand computers, but a long journey to the answer.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The thing she did not even get is that SHE STOPPED USING NEW MATH TO ADD THE NUMBERS! To stay in new math, she would have had to draw another matrix and use it for addition. So, she proved in her own video that new math is inferior to the tabulation method we learned. I had to help my kids with this new math in their first years of school. It was not used again after 3rd grade. Thank GOD for that!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Way back in fourth grade, first thing every morning, our teacher handed out a page of add, subtract, division, & multiplication problems and required us to complete within a given time allotment. By the end of the year, or sooner, pretty much everyone had this stuff down cold. No time to count on fingers, draw boxes, etc.; and that was way before calculators!
I know, that's "old school stuff."

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In high school (at the University of Illinois lab school) we had an instructor that forced us to do arithmetic in "our heads". While we couldn't, he could add up 6-7 digit numbers in a column faster than someone could have inputted them in an an adding machine. -- When I went to school, a calculator was some sneaky person. ;^))))

Later, Texas Instruments started marketing an AMAZING device which was considered revolutionary. HP started marketing calculators widely a few years latter. Sneaky persons were still lurking out there, but the word started to mean more than "them" and slide rules.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
She's using this to explain something else, right?... not just multiplication... what then?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I want her to show me 12,489,326,749 x 937,562,482............ now how big a box do I have to draw? and for some reason there was a strong scent of coffee during that video.......
11 cells x 9 cells, if you do the math, that’s 99 cells. That could take a long time during step 3. I am so much dumber from watching this. I always suspected the mathematic trainings in the south were weaker then those in the north. Proof positive I got a better education. Wow!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You guys do know the comparison in this video is not reasonable. How long did it take a teacher to explain basic multiplication of multi-digit numbers to a class for the first time. The comparison video on the right has none of that onus.
Now, when my daughter brought the matrix math home to me, I loved it, at first, because it does a much better job of showing what is going on. It is Algebra prep because it shows the additive nature of the decimal system and how to break the numbers down. I began to hate it when I couldn't teach her to get past it (She did eventually learn to do it).

This matrix method is meant to be a teaching aid, not a new method for doing a straight forward problem. A teacher gets shown this new method at some seminar and they come back thinking, 'So, this is how I teach my students to do Math.' When they should be saying, what a great visualization tool to help my students understand the Math I'm teaching.'
Old school Math teaching is algorithm-based. If you grow to understand it, great, but not necessary. New Math is suppose to be an improved understanding-based method. It's the fault of the teachers that the difference is ignored and we end up with just another algorithm to perform on a test.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Here's another old vs new comparison.
|
V

Not quite the same, huh?

-Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I learned to subtract in the second grade. Those of us that are old enough will remember that when subtracting say, 9 from 14 (14 - 9 =) we were taught to "borrow" from the "1" in the tens column of "14". That was the term - "borrow". A few years ago, I asked if that term was still being used. A teaching friend said "no, the term is now 'redistribute'. Why do you ask?"

I explained that in second grade, I would come home and do my math homework for that day. Then I would take out the previous night's homework, which had been graded in school that day, and return all those borrowed "ones". We were taught that if you borrowed something, you always made certain you returned it.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I learned to subtract in the second grade. Those of us that are old enough will remember that when subtracting say, 9 from 14 (14 - 9 =) we were taught to "borrow" from the "1" in the tens column of "14". That was the term - "borrow". A few years ago, I asked if that term was still being used. A teaching friend said "no, the term is now 'redistribute'. Why do you ask?"

I explained that in second grade, I would come home and do my math homework for that day. Then I would take out the previous night's homework, which had been graded in school that day, and return all those borrowed "ones". We were taught that if you borrowed something, you always made certain you returned it.
I believe the "approved term" may shortly be 'invest' instead of 'borrow' ;^)))

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yup, that made it harder. That's a good thing, because math is supposed to be hard.

I wonder if anyone in the classroom fell asleep.