Another not so "Precision" sail. Doing your own mast slides?

Jan 7, 2022
Hunter 40.5 Maryland Marina
Decided to get new sails for our Legacy 40.5. We had the original sails repaired to the point it just was not worth it anymore. The local sailmaker that worked on the sails is evidently not in business anymore. Decided to go with a popular online "sailmaker" after talking to them and going through their online ordering system. Had them made early this year. Took a little longer than expected but everything looked good.

Fast forward to last weekend. Finally splashed. Tried to bend the new main on and.......they did not follow the specifications for the mast slides. The waist is over 6mm compared to the specified 4mm. They have had over a week to provide a solution being in "warranty process. " While diplomatic when they are called, they offer no solution. They promise to call back and do not follow through. So waste another month waiting for them?

I do have a SailRight Ultrafeed, but probably this can be done by hand and a sewing palm? There are 18 of the darn things....not sure that I want to tackle this but it might be the fastest way to get it done. Still have to find the appropriate slides for replacement. Don't want to use the old ones.

Should I tackle this myself or can someone suggest a sailmaker for the modification? Located in the Middle River MD area.
Thanks in advance.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Should I tackle this myself or can someone suggest a sailmaker for the modification? Located in the Middle River MD area.
Although you could do by hand with a sewing palm (I've done a couple that way, but not 18), I'd check with Quantum Sails in Annapolis.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I once had a similar issue with another sailmaker, wrong slugs installed. The original sailmaker paid for a local independent sail loft to replace them. It was a couple hundred dollars for the replacements.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Dispute the charge on your credit card, that'll get them moving.

Jan 7, 2022
Hunter 40.5 Maryland Marina
Was able to try in a test slide today and it fit ok. Not an original replacement but it should work. One solution offered was to shackle the slide to sail. That way we could get sailing and do webbing later. Either way I have to take the current slides off. The existing webbing can be used as is (as long it is not damaged taking it apart) and will probably have a set to it with existing needle holes. I will give it a try. It is a large sail and would rather just work with it once. Quantum and Bacon were more than willing to help also.

I had a chance to sail with the new headsail only and was pleasantly surprised. Usually I would not bother with the old headsail because the performance was so bad. With the new headsail in very light conditions I was getting 3.5 to 4.5 Kts. So I am very impressed with the performance. Can't wait to get the mainsail finished up with a new stackpack etc. Thanks to Precision and others helping .

Cheers....

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the update. I would not worry about the needle holes. They will disappear as the webbing stretches once attached and go sailing. Assuming your taking Precision up on having a local loft do the work. If there is a problem they should choose a proper resolution not slap it together and throw it back to you.