Another new Catalina 27 owner with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

amory

May 22, 2005
- - Old Greenwich, CT
Greetings. Just bought a 1975 C27 with outboard, and have been doing some work on it in preparation for launch next month. 1) The bottom paint looked like about 10-12 layers thick, and was peeling in places all the way down to the gelcoat. I am in the process of sanding, almost done. What I have done is take it down to the last coat over the gelcoat, and then remove any flaking paint down to the gelcoat. My rationale is I don't want to take off too much gelcoat by taking it all the way down. In some places I went through but not more than surface scratching, no deep gouges or fiberglass showing. Questions: Should I prime the bare gelcoat areas prior to applying bottom paint? I have a can of interlux micron extra that I was planning on using with 2 coats unless someone tells me a better idea. Also, I sanded with 40 grit to get the paint off fast. Is it ok to paint over this or do I need to resand with a finer grit? I do not know what type of paint is left of the hull, but it must be very old. Can this be painted over? 2) Related question: I sanded the paint off the keel, which I believe is lead. I went through paint into bare lead in a few places. Is any special prep required before painting the bare lead? 3) The knotmeter impeller has a broken vane. How easy is this to replace? The through hull fitting looks like it has a threaded locking nut on the hull side which is very tight. If I unscrew this can I replace the vane? Is this easy to mess up? Thanks for your help.

T

Tom Monroe

go to interlux web site

If you go to the Interlux web site, there's a couple of great downloadable documents that tell you what to do when. In general, you can put an ablative paint over what was on there. If you're not going to race, you're probably OK on roughness. I guess my bigger question would be, is it just paint on the hull, or is there a barrier coat under all that? A 1975 C27 needs a barrier coat, IMHO. And, are you following safety precautions while sanding? There can be some pretty toxic stuff in all those layers. Tom Monroe C27 6219 Different Drummer

amory

May 22, 2005
- - Old Greenwich, CT
Thanks for the reply

I don't know if there is a barrier coat or not. Maybe the last coat is the barrier coat? Don't know how you would tell. Maybe the fact that its flaking off right down to the gelcoat would help to determine this? I am using a decent quality respirator, goggles, a protective suit with head covering, and gloves. So far I seem to have survived quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.