Another lithium conversion about to start...

Jun 4, 2024
Hunter Legend 35.5 Charleston SC
I'm planning to make the switch to lithium. I'd like to run the general outline of my plan by the collected wisdom of the forum.... My plan is to have a lead acid start battery, separated from the house battery switch. As I understand it, the charge line from the alternator, and the battery cable to the starter, run thru the common pole on the battery switch. My plan is to disconnect both from the battery switch, and run them direct to the lead acid start battery. The alternator wouldn't charge the lithium bank at all, I will decide on a DC/DC charger later if needed. For now the lithium bank will be charged by solar and the installed battery charger, both are compatible with lithium, the start battery will only charge via the alternator. Of course I will be fusing the lithium bank appropriately. Does anyone see any issues with my plan? Anything else I should be thinking about? TIA

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Read this article by Rod Collins, aka MaineSail. This is the safest and easiest installation I have seen.

Under your plan, you have no backup if the LFP batteries fail (or the BMS) and if you have several cloudy days, you will have a dead house system with no way to recharge it.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Your plan will work, but I would include a DC--DC converter in the system now for a secondary way to keep the house batteries charged. You can install the converter with an on/off switch if you want to isolate it when not needed for charging.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
1. How will you use the boat? Day sailing, or overnights, or extended cruising?
2. Are you at a dock with shore power?
3. What capacity lithium batteries?
4. What output (Amperage) alternator?
5. What capacity (output) solar panels?
6. Do you have a DC fridge, or anchor windlass? Autopilot? Inverter?