Another bilge question

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Bloomington, MN
When using water, after shutting the faucet off, our pressure pump will "recycle" on about every 10 seconds. Is this normal?
And when we are done with the need for water, and after shutting off the water pressure switch, we will notice water coming into the bilge from the rear "feeder" hole. The bilge does what it's supposed to do and pumps it out, so we have no serious problem in that regard, but is this normal?
I cannot see any leak from the hot water tank under the cockpit, or from under/near the water pump, nor anyplace else. Where could this water be coming from? There is definitely a direct correlation between use of the water pump and water into the bilge.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The fact that the pump cycles on indicates a leak in the system. Sounds like it could be the outside shower mounted in the transom, if it isn't the hot water heater. Sometimes people forget to shut off the faucet at the shower, and the shower head leaks a little at the push-button shut-off.

May 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Bloomington, MN
Thanks Tom. Well, it wasn't the outside shower, which I checked (I thought your suggestion was great and that would be the cause), but I did some more detective work and did spot a leak from under the hot water heater when I put on the water pressure. We'll have to live with the leak when we need hot/cold water and just let the bilge pump it out, or by-pass the water heater and just do with cold water - or replace the water heater which I don't think will be worth the time, cost and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.