Another 25 O'Day with 7 1/2 hp Vire

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norman Lampe

My Vire has sat in the garage for 4yrs. That's when I got the boat. Water was in the transmission. Had it fixed (?) Plan to sail this spring after I replace fuel tank and all wiring. My shaft had a huge rudder ring between shaft and engine (Drivesaver) Any advice would be appreciated

B

Bob

I have rebuilt a Vire 7

I had the same engine in my previous boat, so I have much experience with the Vire 7 inboard. As a matter of fact, the sole reason that I rebuilt my Vire was because I, too, had water in the transmission. The fix was quite simple...replace the seal on the rear of the transmission case under the water pump housing. This is the seal that the water pump spline shaft passes through. I had to remove the engine to do this, so I figured that I might as well take some preventive action so I wouldn't have to pull the engine again. What happens is this. When the seal is worn the water in the pump housing takes the path of least resistance. This would be through the seal and into the transmission. There is still enough water going through to cool the engine. But what happens over time (if not corrected immediately) the water entering the transmission displaces the transmission oil which will eventually exit through the transmission case vent at the 12:00 position. The result is approximately two pints of smelly gear oil in your bilge. When your work was accomplished, if the mechanic did anything short of changing this seal and (if the spline shaft had a groove worn in it) either replacing the shaft or building the metal back up and turning it back to specs on a lathe, you can count on having the same problem. Good luck. I hope this answered your question. Cheers, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.