Anchorman Sprint 900 Windlass Disassembly and Fleming

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

First, Does anyone know if there are any sources for parts for the Sprint 900 Windlass? The fleming on ours is broken/missing. I've searched the internet and made a few calls, but so far no luck.

The second part of this question: I attempted to disassemble the winch while at the boat this weekend, but couldn't get things disassembled. The clutch nut comes right out, but I couldn't remove the drum. I attempted to lift, pry, and spin the top section, but no luck. Am I correct in understanding the drum SHOULD just lift right off (vertically) (I have the manual, it insinuates it should lift off, but I don't see explicit instructions)? Are there additional clips holding it in place? If it is just frozen in place is something like PB blaster recommended or is applying heat a better option? I don't want to muck up (or melt) any of the internals (assuming I can find a fleming and make it usable again).

If it's not repairable I can make do (I'm still young enough to hoist our anchor and chain), but it'd be nice to take advantage of existing systems.

Thanks!

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
I chatted with the P2 Marine folks, unfortunately no luck there. I'll check out SLSpares, though!

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
An update on my Anchorman Sprint 900 windlass repairs:

1. I was eventually able to remove the drum. PB Blaster, heat, and light taps/prying with a hammer and a couple of screw drivers eventually got it off. However, I was never able to remove the gypsy. It looks like there are two pins between the gypsy and the cones that "lock" the gypsy into the center shaft. I couldn't get those to slide out, and eventually ran out of time. Which brings me to the other part of my original question:

2. It turns out the Sprint Anchorman 1500 fleming is the same size as the Sprint 900--however, the gypsy on the 900 doesn't appear to disassemble into two pieces which, I believe, is why the original 900 flemings were a split-plastic piece that could be wrapped around the gypsy.

I purchased a Stainless 1500 fleming from Crowleys.com

I then modified it with a sawzall to remove the ring to look something like this:

1621003357795.png

I was then able to slide the open ring around the center of the gyps and screw everything down. Quick test shows that it works like a charm.

A little grease on the drum (to, hopefully, keep it from seizing to the center shaft again) and we're back in business.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Mostly just adding this here so that when some other Anchorman owner has this issue (in about 10 years) this'll come up in search and they can revive the thread.